PDA

View Full Version : MotoCzysz D1G1TAL DR1VE D1 Revealed!!!

ElMotoMike
11 November 2010, 0913
via press release

Nov 10, 2010, Portland, OR- MotoCzysz unveiled the world’s first fully integrated electric drive system- the D1g1gital Dr1ve D1- at the EVS25 show in Shenzhen China on November 5th 2010. Targeted to power the next generation electric vehicles and series hybrids, the D1g1tal Dr1ve is slated for delivery in May of 2011, for under $8999.

The D1g1tal Dr1ve D1 is a compact, advanced drive system that incorporates motor, inverter, oil pump, gear reduction and differential, all housed in a light-weight aluminum case. The complete integration of components makes the D1g1tal Dr1ve a true “plug and play” alternative, dramatically reducing the typical design time and costs associated with electric vehicles.

The integrated drive technology housed in the D1g1tal Dr1ve powered the MotoCzysz E1pc motorcycle to two race wins and two track records in 2010. The E1pc dominated the field at the Isle of Mann TT, winning by over two minutes ahead of the closest competitor; this same technology also powered the MotoCzysz E1pc to over 163mph at Bonneville.

By combining innovative, race-proven technology with the power and reliability of the Remy Motors HVH250, the D1g1tal Dr1ve becomes the most advanced and dependable integrated drive system available today.

The D1 makes a continuous 60kW and 75kW peak power and over 1000Nm drive torque in a package weighing less than 150lbs, making it an ideal solution for small commuter vehicles and light duty trucks or utility vehicles. The D1 is designed to accommodate either front or rear wheel drive vehicles.

A complete line of even more powerful and innovative D1g1tal Dr1ves are being designed and tested; further announcements to follow.

Additional information including pictures and press kit can be found at www.d1g1taldr1ve.com.

About MotoCzysz, LLC.
MotoCzysz is a design and engineering firm that has been awarded numerous patents and now focuses primarily on electric drive systems and electric vehicles. MotoCzysz recently utilized the D1g1tal Dr1ve in the MotoCzysz E1pc experimental electric motorcycle and won the two largest and most important electric races in 2010: Isle of Man TT zero, IOM and the e-Power Red Bull MotoGP, Laguna Seca. MotoCzysz is also working with Indian Automotive and Motorcycle giant Bajaj on a bold solution for a next generation electric car. For more information contact Ryan Taylor MotoCzysz GM at ryan.taylor@motoczysz.com.

frodus
11 November 2010, 1305
wow, nice.

DaveAK
11 November 2010, 1357
Ooooh! Pretty!! But really, a digital display? What kind of dumb idea is that?

DaveAK
11 November 2010, 1408
Does have a USB slot though, so at least I can plug in my iPod and listen to my favorite music.

SplinterOz
11 November 2010, 1652
Ok so this requires 320Volts to drive.. so we are talking 100 cells in serial, and they need to be able to dump 200 - 300 amps...
I now want to know about their battery packs!!!

DaveAK
11 November 2010, 1744
364V from the specs. Not sure what the 320 on the display is supposed to be indicating. Days until Christmas? (Assuming that it's not a recent photo of course.)

SplinterOz
11 November 2010, 1757
From this page... http://www.d1g1taldr1ve.com/d1-tech-specs/ it says... Operating Voltage (VDC nom.) 320 VDC nom. Assume it can vary around that due to pack voltage sag and charge state.

even so I just priced a 200AH pack for this (thunderskys) in Aussie dollars it is around $32,000 Making the complete thing over $40,000 before chargers, BMS or anything else...

Probably a good price for racing gear but expensive for the street.

frodus
12 November 2010, 0920
but 75kw is the peak power. So at lets say 320V nominal, that would be 235A peak from the batteries. You don't need 200Ah batteries. You could use 80-100Ah worth of batteries at 2-3C and get that power. 200Ah of TS would be overkill, as 2-3C would be 4-600A. It would extend the life of the batteries by using less C discharge though. Hell, you could do that with 100s2p of 10Ah headway cells. for a 320V 20Ah pack.

I find it awesome that they can get the price BELOW $9k, thats a gamechanger.

chdfarl
12 November 2010, 1112
Whats the cost of a battery pack like that. One kidney or two. Oh no the other kidney was to buy the D1g1tal Dr1ve. Oh well back to the drawing board. At least ICE chassis with blown engines are cheap!

frodus
12 November 2010, 1319
for a battery pack that would put out 75kw, it would cost about $3500 or less. The digitaldrive is under $9k

DaveAK
12 November 2010, 1525
I'll take two!

chdfarl
12 November 2010, 1549
Two kidneys ;D
Nah that sounds at least lower then par for for what i understand to be 100 electric horses

chef
12 November 2010, 2317
Why does it incorporate gear reduction and a differential? They do say it can be used in cars/trucks, but also say they used it in their motorcycles. I'm still trying to imagine how in the world someone could fit 100x 100Ah cells in a motorcycle frame :eek:

Nuts & Volts
13 November 2010, 0521
you dont need that many batteries (big batteries) on a motorcycle. Just take 200 16 AH cells that can do at least 10C which gives you 320 amps max. Yea thats 220lbs, but its a much better solution than some huge TS 100AH batteries.

I love the product they've made, but its a shame they cant go to a higher voltage bc that motor would scream (100+kW continuous at 500V or so). I'm interested to see in what applications companies and people use this system.
-Kyle

magicsmoke
13 November 2010, 0607
I'm interested to see in what applications companies and people use this system.

Czsyz and Bajaj, an Indian auto maker have teamed up to look at making electric cars.

DaveAK
13 November 2010, 1128
you dont need that many batteries (big batteries) on a motorcycle. Just take 200 16 AH cells that can do at least 10C which gives you 320 amps max. Yea thats 220lbs, but its a much better solution than some huge TS 100AH batteries.

I love the product they've made, but its a shame they cant go to a higher voltage bc that motor would scream (100+kW continuous at 500V or so). I'm interested to see in what applications companies and people use this system.
-KyleIt already weighs 150lbs and takes up a fair amount of space compared to most electric motorcycle motors. I don't see it as a realistic powerplant for a motorcycle in this configuration.

As for 100kW @ 500V, they do say that this is just the first offering and that they're working on others. We'll just have to wait and see. :)

Sure is pretty though. Wish I had the money to invest in a couple to design a vehicle around.

chdfarl
13 November 2010, 1226
I don't feel its a great departure. Isn't 75kw 100 horse. With 150 lbs of motor 22o lbs of batteries aren't the other companies selling comparable bikes.

cycleguy
13 November 2010, 1310
Why does it incorporate gear reduction and a differential?

This system is not for motorcycles, it is designed for electric car manufacturers, giving them a self contained unit to just bolt into the chassis and connect up the axles. The battery pack design is left up to the car manufacturer to decide.

SplinterOz
14 November 2010, 2300
been away for a weekend ride... sorry for the late entry. Frodus... understand 200A TS would be overkill I think 90s or so. However it would be nice to have range as well. The 10A headways would just not give you range.

I would like to know the details of the battery pack in their bike.... must look it up.

Skeezmour
14 November 2010, 2354
I have 84 TS 90 cells in my boss's fiero and I can sure tell you your not fitting those on a bike :)

I'm sure Travis is thinking of at least a couple of those 16ah headways in parallel. 32ah at 320+volts gives you a 10kwh pack. should be enough range for most of us.
Very good chance my YZF600r project is going to be heading towards that voltage.

SplinterOz
15 November 2010, 0000
To be honest I am with others... put this is a small to medium CAR.... then you get 100 horses more torque than you can poke a stick at and room for enough batteries to get the range.

I keep forgetting that is is 320Volts so a LOT of extra juice due to the higher pack voltage... more than 4 times my pack voltage, so I suppose that 30Ah rather than my 60Ah would be fine :)