PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Reports EV purchase survey

Richard230
05 December 2010, 1521
In today's paper is an article by Consumer Reports about a survey that they performed regarding how consumers feel about buying new cars. One part of the survey included electric vehicles. The headlines say that "interest in electric cars is growing, but practical concerns remain". (I think I could have written that.) Here are the results of the survey:

Electric cars are grabbing more attention from car shoppers.

39% of car shoppers are considering a hybrid or EV for their next new-car purchase.

Of these people, 60% are looking for a regular hybrid.

16% are interested in a plug-in hybrid.

14% are considering an all-electric car.

94% find "green" cars in general lacking in some way, citing a high purchase price, inadequate energy infrastructure and limited driving range.

Men strongly favor plug-in hybrids and all electric vehicles.

Women see greater appeal in regular hybrids.

That part about men(instead of women) preferring plug-in hybrids and all electric vehicles is interesting.

jpanichella
05 December 2010, 1524
That explains why there are no chicks on this site.

Skeezmour
05 December 2010, 1532
Jennifer is here now :)

jazclrint
05 December 2010, 1544
Energy infrastructure? Doesn't almost everybody's house have electricity? How many public places have electrical sockets just sitting there on the side of their building?

DaveAK
05 December 2010, 1609
Energy infrastructure? Doesn't almost everybody's house have electricity? How many public places have electrical sockets just sitting there on the side of their building?
Sure, but that doesn't make it adequate. How often do we hear about power outages in summer when all those AC units kick in? Rolling blackouts in California, etc.

teddillard
05 December 2010, 1730

HAHAHAHAAhaaaahaa! good one Rich!

Just in case you're serious, here's a link about Chelsea Sexton trying to get a Volt charger into her garage:
http://www.bnet.com/blog/electric-cars/chelsea-sexton-8217s-volt-charger-woes-don-8217t-bode-well-for-you-and-me/2514

Here's some info on the grid- pretty good perspective, from what I've read: http://www.energybulletin.net/node/43823

chef
05 December 2010, 2037
That part about men(instead of women) preferring plug-in hybrids and all electric vehicles is interesting.Maybe it has to do with range anxiety. Running out of juice and being stranded can be more dangerous for women, especially at night.