PDA

View Full Version : Kia Pop EV concept car

Richard230
11 December 2010, 1607
A blurb in my newspaper describes the Kia Pop concept EV. The article says that with EVs popping up all over, Kia is testing the waters with a unique urban runabout. The Pop is more than a foot longer than a Smart ForTwo and can carry three passengers. It uses "lightweight lithium-polymer batteries". Kia claims this gives the car an 87-mph top speed and a range of 100 miles. Looking at a picture of the car, it appears to have a very steeply sloped front windshield that starts a foot or so from the rear hatch and slopes to within about 2 feet of the front of the car. Kia claims that the passenger compartment is inspired by a helicopter cabin. My guess is that they are going to need an air conditioner to keep the passengers from turning into lobsters. :eek:

mpipes
11 December 2010, 1840
No worries about the passengers, people have to actually want to buy it first, and nobody wants to buy a car looking like that.

BaldBruce
11 December 2010, 2058
Pop? I think they are missing an"o"........

chef
11 December 2010, 2148
Photos pls...
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/30/kia-pop-recharges-in-6-hours-with-87-mph-top-speed-and-100-mile/

Doesn't look that bad IMHO. It's very different and that always draws some allergic reactions. Take just about any modern car, put it in a time machine and show it to someone 20 years ago and they'd have a similar reaction. Being a 2-seater is already nichey in the US, add EV into the mix and it might be too much too soon.

Coninsan
12 December 2010, 0313
IMHO it's front and rear are actually very nice, even from a design point of view, very simple, stylish and innovative looking, i like it. But the doors reek of bad taste and drag the whole vehicle down..

I would rather see the DIESEL concept in production when it comes to Micro cars: http://www.automotto.org/entry/diesel-micro-car-project-by-aaron-cardozo/

EVcycle
12 December 2010, 0453
Ooooooooooooooo, Shiny.

jpanichella
12 December 2010, 0731
IMHO it's front and rear are actually very nice, even from a design point of view, very simple, stylish and innovative looking, i like it. But the doors reek of bad taste and drag the whole vehicle down..

I would rather see the DIESEL concept in production when it comes to Micro cars: http://www.automotto.org/entry/diesel-micro-car-project-by-aaron-cardozo/

Agreed. The doors were a bit much. Those obviously look like renderings, I'll reserve further judgement until I see the real thing, if it ever comes out. The specs are decent though.

BaldBruce
12 December 2010, 1655
Still looks like Po..oP to me.:D
This style of vehicle will not sell in the USA at this point in history. If gas is 5 bucks a gallon, then the game is different. Until then, tiny cars will not be accepted. The Smart for Two sold a few cars two years ago when gas was 4 dollars a gallon. When the price dropped, so did their already small sales. Dowm 60% in 2009, down another 55% on top of that in 2010. NEVs have been available for a long time and generate almost no sales in the US.........