PDA

View Full Version : O.k., I think that I can finally breathe life into this Frankenbike...

Lionstrike
19 December 2010, 2204
LIVE!!! I want it to LIVE!!!

O.k., insanity aside, I think I am ready to wire this thing up and see if it lives. How does my wiring concept look to everyone? Will this work... or will the magic smoke escape?

http://www.personal.psu.edu/cer143/EV/Wiring2.JPG

Parts list:

Curtis 1204-404 Controller 36-48v controller 275 amp (running at 24 volts for the sake of testing though. Will I see any action or do I need 36v?).

24 volts SLA batteries (I have 36v, but I only have a 24v contactor and a 48v contactor. I was told to have the coil voltage on the contactor match the system voltage. Is this true?)

24v Albright contactor (I have a 48v one too).

Magura 0-5k twist grip throttle (works like a champ!)

Marine heavy duty switch

Etek original motor.

I really just want to see the motor spin and I could die a happy man. My friend will do the metal fabricating and welding, but I almost have a mock-up in wood ready to go.

I am working on a project page too.

Thanks for your help everyone!!

EVcycle
20 December 2010, 0452
I bet you will want 36 volts before you know it.

Running the rated voltage to the coil is best. Too much voltage will burn it out, too little and you will have a weak contact and depending on the mounting location/orientation,
have the possibility of a contact "bounce" while riding down the road. If you are running individual battery chargers, (even if you are not but do a balance charge every so often) and running
36 volts will still work with the 24 volt coil by just tapping off 24V for the coil on 2 of the 3 batteries.

Lionstrike
20 December 2010, 0827
I bet you will want 36 volts before you know it.

Running the rated voltage to the coil is best. Too much voltage will burn it out, too little and you will have a weak contact and depending on the mounting location/orientation,
have the possibility of a contact "bounce" while riding down the road. If you are running individual battery chargers, (even if you are not but do a balance charge every so often) and running
36 volts will still work with the 24 volt coil by just tapping off 24V for the coil on 2 of the 3 batteries.

Oh yeah, I intend to build it with a full 48 volts. I just want to test it right now and I've never get something this complicated to work. Truthfully it's kind of exciting.

I am not quite sure how to wire it up for 24v for the contactor only though. I am not certain that the controller needs 36v to work either, it might work at 24v. I don't need much kick out of this thing yet, still just testing.

So.... I guess in the long haul I can either get a different contactor, or get the correct battery voltage. Does that sound right?

But as far as the wiring... does that look reasonable? And by the way, if I do need another contactor... what do you think of this thing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kilovac-EV200-Series-Contactor-Tyco-EV200AAANA-/190472174708?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5906bc74

Thanks a lot for the help. :)

Lionstrike
20 December 2010, 0851
Apparently the 36-48v curtis 1204-404 controller has "Undervoltage protection." According to the manual, it should just cut back voltage to the motor.

I am not bothered if the motor isn't "peppy" since this is just for testing, but is it reasonable to expect motor activity?

kek_63
20 December 2010, 0948
I expect that the "undervoltage protection" means that you will need at least 28v for the controller to work.

Keith

EVcycle
20 December 2010, 0952
Is 28 the LVC for it?

"Is it reasonable to expect motor activity?" Yes! As long as it is wired correctly. Use FUSES!!!!

"Truthfully it's kind of exciting." Welcome to our world.... :)

Run it all on 36v for now and see what happens. Have the batteries at full charge and it should ...move.

Ed

Tony Coiro
20 December 2010, 1043
Re-reading this thread reminds me of my first conversion and the mix of terror and excitement. For those of you who remember, I filmed my first test, I wore a helmet even though the rear tire was jacked up. This is what it was like for me: You'll turn it on (wait for an explosion) stare at the throttle (still waiting) and turn it. When the motor turns, you'll jump (cuz you'll think it's the explosion) And then you'll feel like this:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AXwGVXD7qEQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AXwGVXD7qEQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Good luck! :D

Lionstrike
20 December 2010, 1618
LOL@ Tony!

Sooooo.... I don't have the manual for the exact controller, but it seems to be that their 36-48v models in general start undervoltage current at 21 volts. I should then in theory be able to rock 24v on a 24v contactor... right? (This is the part where I look around the room for people that have expressions on their faces that read "I don't know this guy, I don't know where he came from and I am not associated with him in any way. Feel free to facepalm).

I'd like to use 36v... but 24v and 48v contactor. Don't want to blow them up, and I am not sure how to wire a 36v circuit for only 24v across the contactor.

But assuming that I can get away with 24v... does this wiring look reasonable?

http://www.personal.psu.edu/cer143/EV/Wiring2.JPG

Thanks again all.

EVcycle
20 December 2010, 1849
"I should then in theory be able to rock 24v on a 24v contactor... right? "

If it is 21 then yes. Put a meter on it all so that you do not drop below 21v during your tests.

Have fun....no Plasma please.. :eek:

Lionstrike
20 December 2010, 2123
Fellas....

IT WORKS!!!!! Holy %$#%%$#@!!!! It works!!!!! Really???

IT WORKS!!!!!!!

Fellas, if any of you wise EV sages are ever near my area, I OWE YOU A BEER. Damn... I can't believe it... I sincerely thought that I was hopeless.

I will now do the happy dance.... for the next seven days straight. This is the wildest thing I've ever created.

Thanks a million for all of your help!

Not only does it work... it works EXACTLY like I intended it. Except for a minor short that I did because of an accident (only an instant... contacts were a little too close) everything went off without a hitch.

Notes:

24v contactor worked fine with 36 volts. Didn't make a loud click though. Didn't click at all. It's not drawing a lot of current though... I am using like 14 gauge wire... not heavy enough.

It didn't work with 24v at all. When it says it wants 36-48 volts.... it really means it. Rocking that extra battery made it work.

Wohoo!!!! Now I need to give it a badass name...

I'll think of something.... I believe an EV GRIN is forming on my face right now...

BaldBruce
20 December 2010, 2218
It's aliiiiive!
Welcome to the addiction, oops, I mean club.

__Tango
20 December 2010, 2229
Awesome! Congrats. When I got mine spinning for the first time, I did the happy dance for three days straight! :)

Lionstrike
20 December 2010, 2326
It's not an addiction!!! I mean... I am not addicted!!! I can stop... I can stop anytime I want to!!!! Really!!

....I just don't want to....

EVcycle
21 December 2010, 0311
Another one converted and free Beer?

Life is good!!!!! :)

teddillard
21 December 2010, 0320
Sweeeet! Congrats!!!!

Skeezmour
21 December 2010, 0749
Cheers to you!

Lionstrike
21 December 2010, 0849
Thanks everyone... couldn't have done it without your help!