PDA

View Full Version : Gas autos hogging EV charging station parking spaces

Richard230
28 December 2010, 1453
A letter to the auto editor in my newspaper from a reader in San Jose says that he has seen gas-powered cars hogging the EV charging station parking spaces in places like the local Costco and Fry's. He comments: "Why do the rules of civility not apply to these blatantly egocentric pinheads?". (I am guessing that he drives an EV.)

But this does bring up an interesting question. Will the businesses who install charging stations enforce a requirement that only vehicles needing electric charging park there? And do they have the legal authority to tow IC vehicles that hog these spots and will they take the time and potential customer backlash to do it? Towing vehicles from a private commercial parking lot usually requires advance notice via a sign at each entry and also legal authority from the local municipality or state government.

This could lead to class warfare, based upon my observations of how many large SUV and truck owners feel about their "rights" to park anywhere and anyway they want. (Might makes right, I assume.) More that one person that I know has had their motorcycle knocked over by an SUV driver who seemed to feel that parking spaces are only for those vehicles that can fill, or overfill, them. I once had my motorcycle knocked over by an SUV driver right in front of my eyes and my daughter had a similar experience. If they could care less about motorcycles parked in a stall made for a car, I'll bet they will care even less for an electric one charging at a dedicated charging stall in front of store that they want to visit, but don't want to walk to. :mad:

EVcycle
28 December 2010, 1616
Nuke them.....

:)

The problem I have seen so far in many locations is the signs do not state "EV ONLY"
and if the parking lot is full (really full, not pinhead blinded full) then what?

mpipes
28 December 2010, 2027
Well... then I am sure those folks certainly will not mind EV drivers parking their EV's at gas pumps to take advantage of the shade in the summertime, while running into the convenience store to get a cola and lottery ticket. :)

Richard230
30 December 2010, 0908
Duplicate post was deleted at this location.

Richard230
30 December 2010, 0909
It looks like the war has already started. Check out this item from Australia and the comments below it :( :

http://www.vexnews.com/news/4422/take-from-the-poor-give-to-the-rich-hippies-westfield-reserves-parking-for-hybrid-vehicles/

chef
30 December 2010, 1544
The EV parking debate won't end anytime soon, but the solution is as simple as enabling police to write citations to people who wantonly park in EV-only spots. Might not be a law now, but we can get that changed, right? ;)

billmi
30 December 2010, 1554
I think we will also see issues with EV owners hogging spaces.

If someone rolls into Cracker Barrel, plugs into the charger and steps in for a meal, they're going to have to be quite attentive to come back out and check on their car, every so often and move it once it's finished charging.

EVcycle
30 December 2010, 1643
I doubt anything I have will charge fully in the space of one meal.....

mpipes
31 December 2010, 1309
It looks like the war has already started. Check out this item from Australia and the comments below it :( :

http://www.vexnews.com/news/4422/take-from-the-poor-give-to-the-rich-hippies-westfield-reserves-parking-for-hybrid-vehicles/

Wow I'm really working to cut through the Aussie slang but I think I get the gist of the comments :)

billmi
02 January 2011, 0656
The author's comment about the designation "hybrid" being arbitrary seems to fit with something I've suspected - to the general public "hybrid" means energy efficient or green - not using multiple propulsion systems. That's why Ford was able to sell a Hybrid Escape that got worse freeway mileage than the base model Escape.