PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

ChuckJ
19 August 2010, 0559
USAA now insures motorcycles through Progressive. My new insurance for the GPRS is $91 for full coverage.

ChuckJ

electrician
19 August 2010, 0707
Full coverage? wow, great. How much is the liability limit?

ChuckJ
19 August 2010, 1822
Full coverage? wow, great. How much is the liability limit?
300/500

ChuckJ

kah00na
14 March 2011, 2307
I was quoted $500 for full coverage on my 8 HP electric motorcycle because it was built on a 1996 Yamaha FZR 600. I could have got liability for about $300. Needless to say, I'm still looking for insurance. I may try to call USAA or Progressive soon.

EVcycle
15 March 2011, 0222
Progressive has ours. Tell them the CI is zero. That means electric. $97 for liability.

Coninsan
15 March 2011, 0233
Wow, I wish insurance came so cheap here in DK..

EVcycle
15 March 2011, 0345
Yes, but you live in DK!!! Well worth the trade. :)

Coninsan
15 March 2011, 0358
Yes, but you live in DK!!! Well worth the trade. :)
Why? Everything costs a premium and the state snatches 39% of your incom before you can even blink :o
And don't get me started on import taxes..

Sorry for the offtopic jump, noticing the prices on insurance I just couldn't help comparing to our prices: 1000$ yearly at best..

EVcycle
15 March 2011, 0402
Not everything in life is about the money......... ;)

Richard230
15 March 2011, 0750
Progressive is charging me $22 a year for liability-only insurance in the amount of 250/500K for my GPR-S. However, I do get a multiple-bike and the "senior" discount.

podolefsky
15 March 2011, 0806
Progressive has ours. Tell them the CI is zero. That means electric. $97 for liability.

I have progressive as well, but they just counted mine as a 93 GSXR 1100, which means about $550/year.

What is CI? Carbon...something?

__Tango
15 March 2011, 0858
What other insurers are actually insuring electric conversions? Do you tell them it is a conversion? Do you get it insured for the conversion costs? My 85 VF500 isn't worth much, but the extra 5-6K or so that i put into it for the conversion are...

electriKAT
15 March 2011, 0914
Progressive was the first company I found that was even willing to talk to me. They were only willing to provide liability insurance, and gave me a rate that is equivalent to the gas version of the bike. They said full comprehensive would be difficult b/c they do not know the value of the bike and components. I was still very content with that.

DaveAK
15 March 2011, 0919
I have progressive as well, but they just counted mine as a 93 GSXR 1100, which means about $550/year.

What is CI? Carbon...something?
I'm guessing displacement in cubic inches? Most bike insurance is on engine size if I recall. Still, when I go a quote for mine I did it as an 84 GPz900R. I might have to revist that when the time comes.

I'm insured with Geico and just did an online quote. One of the questions was about motor modification/replacement. I put in that it was electric and total value of modifications was $5K. Don't know how the program handled that.

teddillard
15 March 2011, 0937
I'm using Commerce, the same company that I have for my other vehicles. The agent said it's just an '84 Honda VF500F, as far as she was concerned... and in Massachusetts, one learns to stop asking questions, if the Commonwealth deigns to grant you the appropriate authorizations... :D

podolefsky
15 March 2011, 0940
What concerns me about having it listed as the original ICE bike is: what happens if I lay it down and need to cover a new motor or batteries? Will they cover it, or will they come back and say "why are you claiming $3000 for a battery?"

DaveAK
15 March 2011, 0951
What concerns me about having it listed as the original ICE bike is: what happens if I lay it down and need to cover a new motor or batteries? Will they cover it, or will they come back and say "why are you claiming $3000 for a battery?"
That's why when I got a quote I listed the value of the modifications. When I actually get the insurance I'm going to speak to an agent to insure it for it's modified value. I've heard horror stories of people insuring conversions and only getting paid for the value of the donor vehicle. I've a lot invested in this bike and I'm concerned that either it will get stolen, or burst in to flames. Either way I want to get my money back.

teddillard
15 March 2011, 1025

Why would you go and do something like that? :D

Honestly, though, it gets down to a religious discussion pretty quickly- I insure my bike because the law requires it, and to protect myself against any liability I'd incur by causing damage or injury. Any additional insurance that's not required by law I avoid. I guess if you're looking for replacement value, you have to go the long route and have in inspected and valued, but I can see nothing but nightmares here in MA, to get that done.

Then there's the insurance game... say you pay the hefty premiums (theft, for example, around here isn't even close to worth the premiums, Dave) and then for whatever reason you try to collect. Ever tried that? I have. It doesn't go so good. But I'm not bitter. Noooo no.

podolefsky
15 March 2011, 1042
Why would you go and do something like that? :D

Well, I dropped it in my wife's flower garden the other day. Now she parks her car so I have more room to maneuver out of the driveway...

Honestly, though, it gets down to a religious discussion pretty quickly- I insure my bike because the law requires it, and to protect myself against any liability I'd incur by causing damage or injury. Any additional insurance that's not required by law I avoid. I guess if you're looking for replacement value, you have to go the long route and have in inspected and valued, but I can see nothing but nightmares here in MA, to get that done.

Then there's the insurance game... say you pay the hefty premiums (theft, for example, around here isn't even close to worth the premiums, Dave) and then for whatever reason you try to collect. Ever tried that? I have. It doesn't go so good. But I'm not bitter. Noooo no.

All good points. I guess a $500 premium is probably more than the replacement cost for any parts that might get damaged (unless I total the thing). Theft isn't a big deal here either...besides, I'm not sure what someone would do with my bike. Selling parts from a 93 gixxer isn't going to net very much, and could you imagine someone trying to sell my bike on CL?

DaveAK
15 March 2011, 1046
I hear you Ted, and quite honestly I've always taken the easiest/cheapest route with insurance. I either want the $97 premium to meet legal requirements, or I at least want the illusion that they'll pay me for replacement batteries if I have to pay for a $500 policy. I'll investigate what they offer and make a decision based on that.

podolefsky
15 March 2011, 1058
I just contacted my insurance rep for Progressive, told her to put CI to zero. She came back and said this cut $120 from my premium, now at $387/year for full coverage ($500 deductible).

Thanks for the tip!

Still tempting to save another $250 or so, but there is something comforting about having full coverage.

DaveAK
15 March 2011, 1102
I just contacted my insurance rep for Progressive, told her to put CI to zero. She came back and said this cut $120 from my premium, now at $387/year for full coverage ($500 deductible).

Thanks for the tip!

Still tempting to save another $250 or so, but there is something comforting about having full coverage.
I'd still get her to confirm that that covers the cost of the modifications.

Oh, and what's CI? I'm thinking my last guess was complete nonsense.

electriKAT
15 March 2011, 1117
If the insurance company can claim that you misrepresented yourself allowing them to assume the bike was stock, they may not even pay a liability claim. So even though I only have liability, I asked for a written letter acknowledging that the bike has been converted to electric.

electriKAT
15 March 2011, 1121

This is interesting. I am using Progressive and was told they would not even offer me comprehensive. The reason is that it would be too hard to determine the value. Did you just give them a value and they accepted it? Was it inspected or verified in any way?

frodus
15 March 2011, 1159
I'm not insured now, but Progressive insured mine liability only for like $120 a year when I had a policy through them for my car. They would not insure for comprehensive, as its too hard to value. I'm going to revisit this once I get finished.

DaveAK
15 March 2011, 1203
Any Brammo or Zero riders care to chime in on their insurance experiences? While DIY is a different animal it would be interesting to compare.

Nuts & Volts
15 March 2011, 1207
Im with Progressive for just liability for about $83. For liability they dont really care about modifications unless it is to the frame or some NOS. I would think that comprehensive coverage would need an inspection and you to display them your reciepts?? well thats how i would do it :)

podolefsky
15 March 2011, 1308
This is interesting. I am using Progressive and was told they would not even offer me comprehensive. The reason is that it would be too hard to determine the value. Did you just give them a value and they accepted it? Was it inspected or verified in any way?

Huh - I have an email trail that will prove they know it is an electric conversion. I believe I gave them a value of $8k or something. They didn't do any inspection or anything, just took my word for it and gave me a policy.

I just got word that liability alone would be $112/year with the new cc size (I'm assuming they put 0).

electriKAT
15 March 2011, 1408
I guess they're still figuring all of this stuff out and aren't consistent yet. I am glad to hear this can be done, but I'm not willing to pay for it with this conversion.

HighlanderMWC
16 March 2011, 1010
Any Brammo or Zero riders care to chime in on their insurance experiences? While DIY is a different animal it would be interesting to compare.

I have my Enertia covered with State Farm for $278/yr, full coverage.

kah00na
19 March 2011, 2046
I got the original quote for $560 from Progressive through my AAA agent. I'm going to call Progressive directly and see what they say if they put the CI and CC down to zero... What does "CI" stand for?.... Hopefully I can get liability for around $100.

podolefsky
19 March 2011, 2101
I got the original quote for $560 from Progressive through my AAA agent. I'm going to call Progressive directly and see what they say if they put the CI and CC down to zero... What does "CI" stand for?.... Hopefully I can get liability for around $100.

Mine was $507 through Progressive, then the agent "adjusted" the cc size down and I saved $120. Liability alone would be $112. It might have helped that I told her other people with electric conversions had much lower rates than me. I have a $500 deductible.

I luckily haven't had to deal with them in this regard, but Progressive seems to pride themselves on being the top motorcycle insurer, especially for custom bikes. I'm not dumb, I know it's mostly marketing, but they definitely stand out as staking their rep on custom bikes.

billmi
20 March 2011, 1301
What does "CI" stand for?....

CI = Cubic Inches

1CI = 16.387cc

kah00na
21 March 2011, 1539
I called Progressive directly and they said $204 for liability. That is way better than the $560 I was quoted earlier. The rep said that if you told them your VIN number and it was for a motorcycle, then the only way to change the CI (cubic inches) was for them to change it to a "scooter". She did that for my bike just to see what would happen and it went down to $96/year. She said she couldn't give that quote because if there were to be an accident and they were going to have to payout, then they would expect to see a scooter and since it was a motorcycle that there would be all kinds of issues and the payout would probably never come.

She did say that if you convert a 1974-ish motorcycle, then liability insurance would be around $112. Maybe I need an older bike.

podolefsky
21 March 2011, 1606
I called Progressive directly and they said $204 for liability. That is way better than the $560 I was quoted earlier. The rep said that if you told them your VIN number and it was for a motorcycle, then the only way to change the CI (cubic inches) was for them to change it to a "scooter". She did that for my bike just to see what would happen and it went down to $96/year. She said she couldn't give that quote because if there were to be an accident and they were going to have to payout, then they would expect to see a scooter and since it was a motorcycle that there would be all kinds of issues and the payout would probably never come.

She did say that if you convert a 1974-ish motorcycle, then liability insurance would be around $112. Maybe I need an older bike.

I should mention that I'm 35 years old with a near perfect driving record (no accidents). That might be part of why my liability quote was low.

I'm not sure how she did it, but my rep said she had Progressive adjust the cc (or CI) down and reduced my rates. She didn't say anything about changing it to a scooter (although now that you mention it, I should check). You might call them again and try someone else, ask to talk to someone higher up, or try another agent that can deal with Progressive (the person you talked to can only do what is available to them on their screen...but there's often more that can be done).

Richard230
21 March 2011, 1759
I have my Progressive insurance policy renewal for my GPR-S from February in front of me. It lists the engine displacement as 1cc, annual miles: 2000 (don't I wish), Vehicle use: pleasure. I have BI liability coverage of $250K/$500K and PD liability coverage of $100K. Uninsured coverage has been rejected. My premium for this year was $22.