PDA

View Full Version : CA power rates not favorable to EVs

Richard230
15 January 2011, 1356
An article in my newspaper written by Tiffany Hsu of the LA Times, titled "State's power rates might hinder use of electric cars", says that California's power rates are the most expensive in the country for recharging electric vehicles. The reason is that the state has adopted electricity rates designed to discourage homeowners from using a lot of power, due to environmental concerns. Homeowners are charged more per kWh as their consumption rises, as it would when recharging an EV. According to a study performed by Purdue University, CA households pay about 35% more for electricity than the national average.

The unintended consequences of these rate schedules is that it will discourage EV use for the typical (non-geek) driver. The study found that in California, oil prices would have to rise from less than $100 per barrel now, to between $171 and $254 a barrel, in order to make a vehicle like the Volt as economical as a similar gasoline-powered car, even after factoring in thousands of dollars in government incentives. The study says that a more economical rate system would be one that charges a flat rate for electricity rates, such as Indiana's 8 cents per kWh, instead of CA's average rate of 14.4 cents per kWh.

EVcycle
15 January 2011, 1406
Solar...Baaaaaby :)

chef
15 January 2011, 1413
They could adopt TOU (time of use) metering to solve that. Most EV owners charge up at night anyway

Richard230
15 January 2011, 1928
They could adopt TOU (time of use) metering to solve that. Most EV owners charge up at night anyway

Of course to do that, homeowners would have to allow "smart meters" to replace the old style mechanical electrical meters and you know how those things can cause mental illness, hives, headaches, cancer, poison oak, the hibbe jeebies and other such problems. I think they make dogs bark, too. Why only last week the County of Marin Board of Supervisors voted to ban smart meters from being installed anywhere in the county. It is a good thing they acted so quickly. You have to get these things banned before someone gives you the facts. :eek:

chef
15 January 2011, 2054
Hasn't most of CA already switched to smart meters? If not, there's no incentive like money. If a homeowner can save a boatload of money with a smart meter & TOU, you won't see many objections.

Richard230
16 January 2011, 0802
I don't think money is such a big concern in Marin County. Hysteria seems to be more popular.

billmi
16 January 2011, 0944
Solar...Baaaaaby :)

Didn't we have an article recently (one of Richard's posting's if I remember) about California cities charging as much as $13,000 for construction permits for residential solar installations?

Richard230
16 January 2011, 1634
Didn't we have an article recently (one of Richard's posting's if I remember) about California cities charging as much as $13,000 for construction permits for residential solar installations?

That is right, Billmi. In California if you have money the government wants it. They don't care if you are installing solar panels or a diesel generator. It is all the same to us. No one gets a break.

Frank
16 January 2011, 1813
Feh! We're paying ~$.20-.22 here in Maine. You guys have it cheap!