PDA

View Full Version : Another reason to go electric

Richard230
21 January 2011, 0919
I just heard on the national news that some branch of the government will be approving the use of 15% ethanol in gasoline in the US today. That amount of alcohol is really going to screw up the fuel systems of all IC motorcycles. It will cause driveability problems, reduce fuel mileage and rot and corrode fuel system parts - potentially resulting in leaking fuel that could catch fire. Right now the 10% mix is about all most motorcycles will tolerate.

At least electric motorcycles will not be affected - unless the government can figure out some way to insert corn ethanol into electricity. :O

BaldBruce
21 January 2011, 0951
I'm with you Richard, intellectualizing the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) vs. EV issue from any perspective is over. Our reliance on the ICE can no longer be defended on any rational basis or at any intellectual level.

The actual cost of the ICE includes:

The Exxon Valdez, Deepwater Horizon and who knows what tomorrow
1 billion dollars a day to OPEC
Billions or is that trillions of dollars spent on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan
The cost of human life in the same two wars
The cost of the medical repair bills for thousands of young Americans with missing arms, legs and worse as a result of the same two wars.
Respiratory health issues in every metropolitan area of the world
And the list goes on and on.

The ICE age is over. We should be directing our intelligence and resources towards making the transition from petroleum to biofuels and EVs on a national level as quickly and smoothly as possible.

I am still using some ICE technology, but my wife and I have made a personal commitment to lower our energy usage for now and to work to eliminate our dependance on oil. Our parents endured the great depression and WW II to give me a great life and now it's my turn to step up to the plate and make a few puny sacrifices. My grandchildren deserve no less from me.

I realize I am preaching to the choir and am now getting off my soapbox.....:cool:

markcycle
21 January 2011, 1023
I'm with you Richard, intellectualizing the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) vs. EV issue from any perspective is over. Our reliance on the ICE can no longer be defended on any rational basis or at any intellectual level.

The actual cost of the ICE includes:

The Exxon Valdez, Deepwater Horizon and who knows what tomorrow
1 billion dollars a day to OPEC
Billions or is that trillions of dollars spent on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan
The cost of human life in the same two wars
The cost of the medical repair bills for thousands of young Americans with missing arms, legs and worse as a result of the same two wars.
Respiratory health issues in every metropolitan area of the world
And the list goes on and on.

The ICE age is over. We should be directing our intelligence and resources towards making the transition from petroleum to biofuels and EVs on a national level as quickly and smoothly as possible.

I am still using some ICE technology, but my wife and I have made a personal commitment to lower our energy usage for now and to work to eliminate our dependance on oil. Our parents endured the great depression and WW II to give me a great life and now it's my turn to step up to the plate and make a few puny sacrifices. My grandchildren deserve no less from me.

I realize I am preaching to the choir and am now getting off my soapbox.....:cool:

Applauding :) stay up there on that soapbox and let's get the world to listen and act

Richard230
21 January 2011, 1555
Plus, has anyone gone to their local market and compared the cost of flour with the cost of corn meal?