PDA

View Full Version : Whoa! What was that?

Lionstrike
04 February 2011, 2000
So I reconfigured my setup on my motorcycle. Nothing major really. I essentially just reversed the compartments that I was going to put the batteries in, and the compartment that I was going to put the controller/contactor. No worries right?

Wrong.

I fired up my circuitry after cleaning up my cables to make sure that they were somewhat orderly. Precharge worked o.k..... contactor closed.... I twist the throttle...

and NOTHING.

I unplug the electricity so I can look at it. I take an ohm meter to the 0-5k ports of the Curtis controller... 6.83 ohms without twisting the throttle.

Come again?

I twist the throttle.. 6.83 ohms. I am guessing high pedal disable stopped the motor from spinning.

O.k., something's messed up... so I take the throttle off entirely and twist it. 0-5.31 ohms.

I put it back on the controller and test it again. 0-2.86 ohms.

I put everything back the way it was now.

Worked fine. No worries.

What just happened? It's like my controller had a mental breakdown for a second. I test it another three times. Everything's fine. But for a second, it wasn't responding to throttle. I am guessing the time that it read 0-2.86 across the controller had to do with some internal resistance. I can deal with that.

But it didn't work at all the first time, unresponsive to throttle and read nearly 7 ohms. That's just weird.

Am I missing something? Or is it because I shouldn't work on EVs when I am having an off day? Sometimes as I am beginning to learn, stuff just leaves a guy scratching his head. Never happens again.

Weird.

EVcycle
05 February 2011, 0251
That is a weird one. Maybe it wanted a day off too?

I have had a few High petal issues what the ZAP Curtis throttle. I wonder if this is a Curtis type issue?

Skeezmour
05 February 2011, 0252
Ed is it me or are you up late :)

Lionstrike
05 February 2011, 0903
That is a weird one. Maybe it wanted a day off too?

I have had a few High petal issues what the ZAP Curtis throttle. I wonder if this is a Curtis type issue?

I'm guessing. I mean, that was just strange.

It was a Curtis controller... and it hasn't happened since. Probably some wire just not making contact somewhere or another.

Either that... or my EV is HAUNTED.

EVcycle
05 February 2011, 0938
Ed is it me or are you up late :)

No, Just up way to early.... :)