PDA

View Full Version : Ted asked me to post this

Brammofan
08 February 2011, 1307
TTXGP just tweeted this (link corrected):
This is why we explored weight. http://bloom.bg/fY0NqK #TTXGP opens for entries from Valentines day. Share the love ;-)

Ted told me he wanted to post it, and that he'd race me to see who posted it first. He's slow.

teddillard
08 February 2011, 1312
oh fer the luv o...

ZoomSmith
08 February 2011, 1403
Hey Mr. Mulally:
Why don't you swap out the lead battery for a LiFePO4 unit? That's an easy 20-lb. weight savings.

Can I have $400 million now?

EVcycle
08 February 2011, 1410
Ted Race? He needs some Aerodynamic parts first. :p :p

Oh...race to post first....I get it.... :)

Teach you to make me a dog..... At least t was a race dog...I think.

teddillard
08 February 2011, 1422
least you didn't make any cracks about my weight. and that was all RC, for the record, i was just a hapless victim. but at least i had a ride. :D

teddillard
08 February 2011, 1431
Seriously, though. (BWUAHAHAHAhahaaHAHAaaa)

No wait. Seriously... suppose, just suppose, that the TTXGP weight limitation was a challenge to the field to innovate, and not just throw more weight at going fast? hmmmmmm?

mechanic
08 February 2011, 1432
TTXGP just tweeted this (link corrected):
This is why we explored weight. http://bloom.bg/fY0NqK #TTXGP opens for entries from Valentines day. Share the love ;-)

Ted told me he wanted to post it, and that he'd race me to see who posted it first. He's slow.

Really? Brammofan use your own reasoning.

This story and the TTXGP are unrelated.

If Ford took the TTXGP approach then they would reduce the size of the gas tank in the Ford by half, resulting in an instant 100+ pound weight reduction.

Better yet- Boeing could have remove the fuel tanks entirely from the 787 and reduce the jets weight by several tons.

What weight you reduce matters.

Think of weight like words; it is not a simple quantity equation, substance matters.

teddillard
08 February 2011, 1440

They're related by virtue of the fact that the link and story was tweeted by TTXGP, FYI. Other than that, I have no idea of your point, but great to see you show up on cue.

DaveAK
08 February 2011, 1443
Really? Brammofan use your own reasoning.

If Ford took the TTXGP approach then they would reduce the size of the gas tank in the Ford by half, resulting in an instant 100+ pound weight reduction.

Better yet- Boeing could have remove the fuel tanks entirely from the 787 and reduce the jets weight by several tons.

What weight you reduce matters.

Think of weight like words; it is not a simple quantity equation, substance matters.
If weight is just like words why didn't you just say "TTXGP sux"? Would have saved me some time in reading all that nonsense. Hmmm. A reduction in weight would have let me get through that faster. I see a correlation between weight and speed.

larryrose11
08 February 2011, 1449
Hey Mr. Mulally:
Why don't you swap out the lead battery for a LiFePO4 unit? That's an easy 20-lb. weight savings.

I don't think a LifePo4 45 Ah cell can delver the 800A I see during typical engine start.

further, what you may not know is the emphasis on cost. Not quality, but cost.
With volume purchasing, you can get great quality, at a low cost. I had a purchaser once tell me that they would sell their grandparents into slavery if they could save $.1o on a part for the global platforms where the sales volume is in the millions.

lugnut
08 February 2011, 1605
No wait. Seriously... suppose, just suppose, that the TTXGP weight limitation was a challenge to the field to innovate, and not just throw more weight at going fast? hmmmmmm?

Yes, but the big complaint I heard from race fans was that the electrics were slow, not that they were heavy :-) That and that they didn't make enough noise.

lugnut
08 February 2011, 1622

Glad to see you post again mechanic :-) If I read that correctly, $400 million for a 100 lb reduction in a 4450 lb vehicle (2.2%). So Azhar reduces the weight limit by 50 kg (16.7%) and expects it to reduce cost????? Sorry, but I don't buy it. Of course, lighter bikes with the same power can be faster. But the series had a 300 kg rule and no "good " reason to change that.

Nuts & Volts
08 February 2011, 1630
Glad to see you post again mechanic :-) If I read that correctly, $400 million for a 100 lb reduction in a 4450 lb vehicle (2.2%). So Azhar reduces the weight limit by 50 kg (16.7%) and expects it to reduce cost????? Sorry, but I don't buy it. Of course, lighter bikes with the same power can be faster. But the series had a 300 kg rule and no "good " reason to change that.

lugnut I am pretty sure $400 million was to build the explorer in the first place, not the cost to take the weight out. The money was not going to be invested in the explorer unless weight was reduced

Brammofan
08 February 2011, 1650
Still COI driven
That is the catchiest thing I've heard all day.

New motto: TTXGP - New Day. New Rules. New Game. But Still COI Driven.

I see a correlation between weight and speed.
Sure, but what about this from the article:

Instead, he told Mulally hed found ways to cut almost 100 pounds (45 kilograms) from the 4,450-pound behemoth, get 24 percent better gas mileage, add length and width and maintain off-road performance.
24 percent better gas mileage. That kind of "gas mileage" increase in an electric bike (e.g. range increase) could make the difference between finishing a race and not finishing.

By the way, I also like
What weight you reduce matters. I like it so much that I shared it with Ms.Brammofan. Big mistake. Now I'm on the couch tonight and won't get to share my favorite line from the article with her: "add length and width and maintain off-road performance."

DaveAK
08 February 2011, 1701
How about KOI driven? I'd like to see that. :D

teddillard
09 February 2011, 1509
"...maximum overall weight to 250kg, this aims to make racing more affordable whilst continuing to be both exciting and a stimulus for new development (http://www.egrandprix.com/index_nav.php?cat=inside_ttxgp&sub=rules)."