PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Oregon EV odometer tax

Richard230
18 February 2011, 1646
I picked this item up from the Brammo forum. It seems like some legislators in Oregon are thinking about creating a bureaucracy to keep track of how many miles electric vehicles drive in a year and the taxing them per mile to help pay for roadway repairs and the like. Heck, EV sales in the US are so minimal right now that you wouldn't think that the taxers would want to kill the goose before it even hatches. But I guess any tax is a good tax in their minds. Read more here:

http://www.brammo.com/blogs/general/odometer-tax-for-drivers-of-electric-vehicles/

jazclrint
19 February 2011, 0202
These are the same people that wanted to charge $50/bicycle every 2 years for registration. The only problem is it was going to cost more to run the program than the money collected.

EV sales are slim, but aren't most of them in Oregon? And, I wonder if there is an argument to me made that EVs do less damage to the road because they aren't dripping oil, anti-freeze, and gasoline everywhere.

chef
19 February 2011, 0855
It seems like some legislators in Oregon are thinking about creating a bureaucracy to keep track of how many miles electric vehicles drive in a year and the taxing them per mile to help pay for roadway repairs and the like.
Wonder why they're singling out EVs for that proposal. Why not apply that rule across the board for all vehicles? (Doh... me RTFA.. they're trying to make up for gas tax revenue)

Here in TX the annual reg fee is supposed to help pay for road maintenance. I agree with jaz that EVs do less damage to the roads, especially compared to behemoth gas-guzzling SUVs which pay the same reg fee. I guess those legislators are leaving the ICE age only to enter the stone age.