PDA

View Full Version : Faraday's law sim

podolefsky
01 March 2011, 2233
Thought I would drop this link in case it's useful or fun. This is a simulation about Faraday's law...I do design and research for PhET. We develop science sims and put them on the web for free. Totally free...we are punk rock.

You can play around with B-fields, electromagnets, including AC, and a generator. It doesn't have everything related to motors, but a lot of the basics.

http://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/faraday

We have lots of other electricity sims, and physics, but this one is probably most relevant to ElMoto. I'm trying to convince my group to build a "motors" sim...we'll see what happens.

Nuts & Volts
01 March 2011, 2325
Just took a look at the site. My professor last spring used your "wave on a string" simulator to demonstrate standing waves to a bunch of engineers in my third physics class :) small world
Wish I would have known about this site a year ago, it would have made studying a little bit more fun!!

A motor simulation would be really cool. It would be super tough to deal with temperature rises and such thou. But a flux calculation and losses calculation would be cool.

http://www.femm.info/wiki/HomePage
I think this^^^ does a awesome job of motor simulation. Ive never used it, only read about using it. Seems super complicated, but super useful.

moparren
02 March 2011, 1150
Thanks for the new way to wast time at work! And the nice thing is, as a teacher I can call it planning...;)

DaveAK
02 March 2011, 1154
You guys really know how to party. :D

jpanichella
02 March 2011, 1223
You guys really know how to party. :D

No wonder there aren't any chicks here.

Nuts & Volts
02 March 2011, 1230
No wonder there aren't any chicks here.

That's why we build the motorcycles. Us engineer type have no chance without 'em ;)

podolefsky
02 March 2011, 1238
Thanks for the new way to wast time at work! And the nice thing is, as a teacher I can call it planning...;)

What do you teach? Our sims are used a lot at HS and college, and more and more at MS levels as well (we just got a big research grant to study sims in MS...wish I could put some of that grant into my bike..)

podolefsky
02 March 2011, 1241
That's why we build the motorcycles. Us engineer type have no chance without 'em ;)

Quote from a friend when I rode up on my R Martin scooter about 2 years ago:

"See, if you ride up on a scooter, I think 'huh, that's neat.' But if you ride up on a motorcycle, I think 'I want to have sex with you.'"

You could say friend has a way with words..

moparren
03 March 2011, 1317
What do you teach? Our sims are used a lot at HS and college, and more and more at MS levels as well (we just got a big research grant to study sims in MS...wish I could put some of that grant into my bike..)

I'm a sped teacher, my current gig is teaching homebound students all grades all subjects. My youngest is 2nd grade and oldest is sophmore. I also teach adult GED classes.

I did forward the link to a friend that teaches MS science and she is quite thrilled with it.

DaveAK
03 March 2011, 1356
Quote from a friend when I rode up on my R Martin scooter about 2 years ago:

"See, if you ride up on a scooter, I think 'huh, that's neat.' But if you ride up on a motorcycle, I think 'I want to have sex with you.'"

You could say friend has a way with words..
Clearly I've not got the right kinds of friends.