Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1972 Honda CB350F conversion

Post Thanks / Like

1972 Honda CB350F conversion

Hey all,
    Great to find this community here. Am making headway on the conversion project I’m working on, a 1972 Honda CB350F that I picked up in January. Spent the first couple weeks on design and getting the parts. Have since started on fabrication for the battery cage. Will post pics if I can figure out how...

Specs:
    72v 100Ah lifepo4 (23 cells!)
    Will run 10kw max continuous (battery power), 25kw peak (at the motor).
    Kelly controller and a Revolt 160E outrunner

82B2E2BF-129E-40D2-AF87-AE9A04C91AAB.jpg172CB1CF-B816-4A94-BC50-235FC9332303.jpg

Am posting the build process to IG stories
    Last edited by rfndzc; 01 April 2020 at 0945. Reason: pics

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi
    Thanks for sharing your build.
    What batteries are you using?
    Have you bought the motor yet? Seems experience on endless sphere forum says get a QS mid drive kit rather. Just FYI as I am researching my build.

Cheers
    Tyler

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tyler
    I saw some of the controversy over the Revolts over on ES but some of that is old and the latest iteration (E series) seem to have addressed issues. Was originally looking at AC induction, but that was way to large and inefficient for this space. Plus I don't want high revs, I specifically want low revs and high torque. I almost pulled the trigger on a golden motor, but started comparing niche manufacturers and found Golden a little mediocre. I found Revolt (likely through ES) and reached out. None of the other manufacturers came close to the customizability that Revolt offered me and I opted for a 26kv for ~1600rpm max loaded. All the power goes into low rev torque, plus it is an outrunner, so extra torque there as well. Plus, at the price for power density there was simply no contest. Anyways, thanks for asking. So far am very impressed with the build quality and the customer service. Will have to put the motor to use before I can say for sure. No regrets though.

As for the batteries, I'll add a pic now. Picked em up off alibaba a few weeks ago. That was the real variable in all this. How much power can I fit into this frame... Everything else derives from this initial exercise for me. I wanted to get to 72v and 100ah but couldn't find a battery that I could fit 22 of in this frame. Then, I simply found one. The trick was getting the thinnest profile in order to fit as many as possible in the space to increase voltage (it's like the old integrals in calculus, thinner dx maximizes coverage) and using cell length to compensate and maintain significant Ah per cell. These are 27*137*260 and I managed 23s (@ 3.2 nominal = 73.6v, 100Ah each/total). Am using the original motor mounts for the battery cage, no frame modification was done whatsoever which is important to me for aesthetic and maybe spiritual reasons. Will have to trim back the plastic side panels so I bought a spare set on ebay to mess around with.

The Kelly controller is a touch undersized (140A, I'd like 200A continuous), but I can't fit anything larger that still fits this frame. The Alltrax looked great but they don't have a PMAC controller (they are working on it though, so maybe a future upgrade for me). Curtis are stupid expensive and you pay double just to be able to program it... Kelly is just more sensible for this project.

Here's a pic with the basic layout as I went about designing the cage:
    unnamed.jpg

Thanks for the interest. Lmk if I can be of any help on ur build.
    Rob

Edit: to be clear, Kelly rates their controllers at peak motor current, so mine is 340A by that measure. But it is 140A continuous.
    Last edited by rfndzc; 31 March 2020 at 0617.

Post Thanks / Like
    When you talk about the motor from Revolt, are you talking about the India company? If not, do you have a link to the motor you're talking about?

Cool project by the way!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! Here’s the link: http://www.revolt.org.il/

The power density in these motors (outrunners!) blows away the chinese bldc/pmac specs that I have seen. The build quality is at least comparable if not superior, in my estimation. I could hardly imagine a motor better suited for this project, so a bit incongruous with the bad rap they have for some in the community.
    Last edited by rfndzc; 30 March 2020 at 1705.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished fabrication on the battery cage.
    IMG_1697.jpg
    Last edited by rfndzc; 31 March 2020 at 1141.

7. Likes tylerwatts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroFret View Post
    When you talk about the motor from Revolt, are you talking about the India company? If not, do you have a link to the motor you're talking about?

Cool project by the way!
    Interesting, I saw the India company. I'm sure they are using QS mid drive motors on that bike. I believe the OP means Revolt motors USofA.

Cheers
    Tyler

Post Thanks / Like
    rfndzc

What are those batteries called please? Make and model. Look very good!

I like the spec of Revolt motors but my problem is the outrunner design isn't practical. I'm contemplating shoving a motor into the crankcase of my scooter for a clean install rather than fab a new swingarm and mid drive mount but undecided. Fetched the scoot out of storage today so I'll start a thread going.

Cheers
    Tyler
    Last edited by tylerwatts; 31 March 2020 at 0925.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerwatts View Post
    rfndzc

What are those batteries called please? Make and model. Look very good!

I like the spec of Revolt motors but my problem is the outrunner design isn't practical. I'm contemplating shoving a motor into the crankcase of my scooter for a clean install rather than fab a new swingarm and mid drive mount but undecided. Fetched the scoot out of storage today so I'll start a thread going.

Cheers
    Tyler
    The link to the ones I purchased now redirects to a slightly different model, same supplier, but you may have to just scour AliBaba for the one's that work best for you. https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...261352043.html

The Revolt I was referencing is a small Israeli manufacturer, posted the link a couple responses up... not related to the India Revolt motorcycles.

Cheers
    Rob
    Last edited by rfndzc; 31 March 2020 at 1047.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the answers! I'll definitely check them out. I'm a long ways off from even starting my project, just bookmarking stuff for future reference. But so far that looks like the best bet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast