Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help need with a misbehaving Alltrax Axe 7245

Post Thanks / Like

Help need with a misbehaving Alltrax Axe 7245

Hi folks,
    So I've been happily riding my old ninja (here) to work and back, but recently the controller has started acting up, and simply not working sometimes. It'll always boot to a green LED, but often there's simply no drive to the motor. It's been off the road for a couple of weeks while I rewired it (you should've seen some of the mess that the person left when they originally converted it), though my problems started before I made any wiring changes. Yesterday when I'd finished the wiring, the controller seemed pretty solid for the last few boots, and I did a solid test ride last night, but I tried riding to work this morning and got about 2km before it died, I had to switch it off and on again about 20 times before I got drive.
    I'm looking for advice on where I should start looking. It baffles me because it always seems to boot without any fault codes, but then zero throttle response. It has a pretty new Domino throttle. Are there any diagnostic tools in the config software? I've never run it because it was set up pretty well when I got it, and I don't have a serial cable handy...
    Cheers!
    Steve.
    ninja.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwibob View Post
    Hi folks,
    So I've been happily riding my old ninja (here) to work and back, but recently the controller has started acting up, and simply not working sometimes. It'll always boot to a green LED, but often there's simply no drive to the motor. It's been off the road for a couple of weeks while I rewired it (you should've seen some of the mess that the person left when they originally converted it), though my problems started before I made any wiring changes. Yesterday when I'd finished the wiring, the controller seemed pretty solid for the last few boots, and I did a solid test ride last night, but I tried riding to work this morning and got about 2km before it died, I had to switch it off and on again about 20 times before I got drive.
    I'm looking for advice on where I should start looking. It baffles me because it always seems to boot without any fault codes, but then zero throttle response. It has a pretty new Domino throttle. Are there any diagnostic tools in the config software? I've never run it because it was set up pretty well when I got it, and I don't have a serial cable handy...
    Cheers!
    Steve.
    ninja.jpg
    For me it sounds like a problem with throttle signal. In Alltrax Controller Pro software Monitor tab you can see how much throttle controller get. So buy a serial cable and check it next when you have problem.

See page 13 here http://alltraxinc.com/files/Doc100-0...ors-Manual.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    So you have KSI likely working on pin 1, make sure that the contactor is actually closing so the controller actually gets power on B+

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zerous View Post
    For me it sounds like a problem with throttle signal. In Alltrax Controller Pro software Monitor tab you can see how much throttle controller get. So buy a serial cable and check it next when you have problem.

See page 13 here http://alltraxinc.com/files/Doc100-0...ors-Manual.pdf
    Ah, I didn't realise (lazy) that the config interface shows inputs in real time. I'll pick up a serial cable this afternoon and dig into it. Thanks for the advice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frodus View Post
    So you have KSI likely working on pin 1, make sure that the contactor is actually closing so the controller actually gets power on B+
    I was assuming that since I had a green LED that the controller had all the inputs it needed. Is that not the case? Thanks for the reply.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    The controller doesn't control the Contactor, you do, so I'd check that first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frodus View Post
    The controller doesn't control the Contactor, you do, so I'd check that first.
    The more I think about it, the more I think you're right. Now I can't get it to fail again. I'll keep trying. After about ten minutes of being powered, the contractor is too hot to touch. Think I'll get another one on order anyway. Can you recommend a supplier?

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    What voltage for the coil do you want? Do you have 12VDC?

I can point you the right way, depending.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do have 12VDC, though the current one runs on pack voltage. Here's the existing one:
    contactor3.JPG
    I'm actually running at 90V pack voltage. One of the legs on my contactor bypass resistor broke a couple of weeks ago, so it may have been arcing, maybe that's contributed to its failure.
    Last edited by kiwibob; 19 August 2016 at 1025.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    If there's no precharge resistor connected, then you arc every time you close that contactor as the batteries charge up the capacitors in the controller. That causes pitting and debris that makes the contacts dirty.

The contactor will work with about 90VDC max, so it's likely fine for the coil. The issue is likely that it either isn't closing all the way, or it is closing but the contacts are dirty.

All of this is my experienced guess, but the dropping from time to time points that way. It's much cheaper than replacing a controller.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast