Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  66
Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: e-Cruiser version 1.0 build thread

Post Thanks / Like

Cool e-Cruiser version 1.0 build thread

YES !
    As mentioned here in my pre-build thread, just got the clearance from vehicle registration office for my project.

Starting with this frame:

Some info:

- final weight should be around 300 kgs, excl driver
    - i want to give priority to good acceleration and hill climbing, over fast speed, 100-120 km/h is sufficient
    - i have enough space for 8 packs of 60ah GBS cells or maybe 8 packs of 90ah Winston cells, need to check that with mockup
    - I'm gonna go for this motor: AC-20 with Curtis 1238-7601, planning to buy at http://www.electricmotorsport.com/st...otors_ac20.php
    if you know about a cheaper place, let me know (can't go with dual hub motor for reason explained at the end of my pre-build thread)

Next steps:
    - buy the frame , so that i can bring it into my garage and do some mock ups for the motor and batteries (before end of march)
    - then order motor, controller, batteries, throttle, wires, contactor, fuses, dc-dc,... early april
    - then all this back to my builder who is going to help me to mount the motor and battery racks, sometime in june i guess
    - then start to work on the electrical part myself , this summer

YES !

Now my project is out of the computer and soon in my garage !
    Last edited by Hugues; 02 January 2013 at 1431.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

2. Likes billmi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats man!! This is going to be awesome, so be sure to post many many pictures!
    - Chris [1982 Honda EV650]

"Just throwing science at the wall and seeing what sticks"

Post Thanks / Like
    will do, thanks.
    and the pictures will come with many many questions, LOL !
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    A BIG SERIOUS CONGRATULATIONS Hugues - this is going to be a chopper for the books, awesome choice...
    The Greatest thing about a EV, is the Song of the Terrain...

Post Thanks / Like
    You should PM frodus on this forum about the AC-20. Not sure if he is willing to do international, but he should be able to get you a good deal on those motors and controllers. He's a good guy to deal with too.

I would stick with the GBS cells, you can truly handle a 10C pulse discharge. I have never seen or heard of the Winston cells actually delivering on that much power. However if you can get the 90Ah cells into the bike it is always nicer to have more capacity than more power for a daily ride.

Good luck with the rest of the build, looking forward to seeing the design come to life!
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Hughes.

Your frame really has me thinking about doing a chopper. I may also need a new place to live when my wife finds out.

Post Thanks / Like
    and here we go with a first question:

- i would really really like to keep a belt drive on this bike, for silence of operation. Current pulley at the rear is 68 teeth for about 30 cm diameter, i can go bigger than this. I read that a ratio of 6:1 with my AC-20 would be desirable. ANy possibility to find such a ratio with a belt drive, or am i only dreaming here ?!? I would not like to go with a chain. What's the size and number of teeth of the smallest belt sprocket i can find for my motor ? about 50 HP and 75 ft-lbs

thanks
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Hughes,

Looks like a standard 14mm pitch pulley. It will be almost impossible to get a pulley combo that will get you that ratio without using a jackshaft. I've not seen any 14mm motorcycle front pulleys smaller than 25 teeth. Any smaller will exceed the minimum bend-radius for the belt.

The jackshaft setup will allow you to use stock pulleys, but will take up some more room in the frame.

You might take a look at these resources for background:
    - Gates Polychain GT Carbon Design Guide: Gates Design Guide
    - Elmoto Belt Drive Thread: El Moto Belt Drives
    - Supermax Belt Drives: http://www.supermax.net/
    Last edited by ZoomSmith; 20 March 2012 at 1531.

Post Thanks / Like
    ok, clear.
    6:1 ratio is not feasible with one belt only.
    Space is thight for a jackshaft.
    Will go for sprocket and chain for build 1.0, then depending on noise level and space, i'll check the possibility to move to belt driven :-(

Please someone reassure me and confirm that 6:1 IS possible for a chain, right ? and probably even lower i guess...
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Status-free and luvin' it
    Post Thanks / Like
    The chain on a sprocket is nowhere near as noisy as the chain riding against the polyethylene plastic chain guides on most bikes. Eliminate that block and you eliminate a lot of noise. If you need a chain tensioner, use an idler sprocket.

You can also build a chain guard that will not only keep things safe from getting caught in the chain, but deflect some of the noise as well.
    Mike Pipes
    - Currently under analysis paralysis.

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast