Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  50
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Podbuilder

Post Thanks / Like

Podbuilder

Hey Everyone, New here with a crazy project. Making a Batpod and thought electric would be the way to go. I do have lots of questions as my EV knowledge is beginner level

Here's some pics of the CAD work so far.

Im thinking 24s3p of the 3.2v 10Ah headway cells. And 10kw 72v Golden Motor water cooled and controller.

Has anyone tried the Golden motor gear? What are your thoughts on a 10kw 72v motor and 24s3p headway combination?

The bike will be functional, but basically a display piece to be used at comic cons and other shows. I'll gear it so it's top speed isn't real high as I've no intentions of chasing bad guys through the streets of Gotham.

Brad.

2. Likes SplinterOz liked this post
    teddillard
    WOAH! VERY cool! ...and welcome!

On the Golden, I don't have any personal experience but a local dealer has stopped handling them. There's some issue with the main US distributor, they were failing and it was almost impossible to get support. That was enough to put me off it.

I'd talk to Mark at Enertrac if I were you. He's the hub motor man, and is on here often. http://www.enertrac.net/ They have a liquid-cooled motor but it doesn't sound like you'd need it for slow-speeds. He'd be the man to talk to about lacing that to whatever wheel you're running, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK.. will do. The more ideas the better as I'm still in the development stage.

This looks interesting.

http://kellycontroller.com/car-hub-m...7kw-p-711.html

I am after all using car wheels..... but used on a 15" wheel... mines 28".. so maybe not.

Brad.
    Last edited by Podbuilder; 09 September 2013 at 0631.

teddillard
    That does look perfect. Kelly is pretty responsive to tech support as far as my experience has been.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brad,

If you are really only going to ride around inside auditoriums at walking to perhaps bicycle speeds, I don't think a 7 kW hub motor with 1300 rpm, no load speed, is what you want. That would be huge overkill, and very touchy at the 5-25% throttle you would be using. You would never need more than ~2 kW, and at the very low speeds you'd be going, that motor would be very inefficient.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Warren, thanks for the reply. My goal is to build a functional replica. Granted its going to be very inefficient at low speeds but I'd like it to make it functional for as many different situations as possible. Perhaps hub drive isn't the way go as placing the motor in the current position will allow me to use different gears in the frame to control end speed. So I could gear it for different functions.

Brad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto on what ted said. If you want a hub motor, talk to Mark at Enertrac about the Dual MH-602. You'd might want a Dual MH-603 (if he makes that).
    EVs: 2007 Zapino Scooter, Honda VF500 Conversion (electriceptor.wordpress.com), Red Nissan LEAF SL (Arrived!)

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Visit SplinterOz's Youtube Channel
    One thing I would say is look at the headway high power cells... same size as the 10ah, only 8ah capacity but the C rate (amount of current you can draw) is higher. Ideal for the smaller Ah pack you are thinking of. 80 amps per cell rather than 30 giving better performance but less range.

I also like the idea of a hub motor... even the Kelly 4.5Kw high torque motor might be ideal... the rims just "bolt on" so you should be able to put your larger diameter on. I also agree with Ted... the support from Kelly is great.
    Last edited by SplinterOz; 09 September 2013 at 1622.
    SplinterOz
    From Australia'a Capital
    http://rgelectric.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there any requirement to place the headway batteries close to one another? I believe can place another 14 batteries in the radiator mounts at the back of the bike, and just dress the casing up to look like a radiator. And another 6 cells would most likely fit with the other cells on the frame.

If I do a 72v system using 23 batteries using either 10Ah or 8Ah I should be able to fit 92 batteries in 23s4p combination on the bike.

I've heard back from Fany at Kelly Controller. Fany suggested the hub wheel might not be the best motor and suggested the ME0913 BLDC motor with a KHB72601(72V 700A) Controller.

Still yet to hear from Mark at Enertrac.

Brad.

teddillard
    Nope. For long runs of cable you'd want to use a thicker gauge, but I'd guess if you're using 2AWG (like most of us, I think) you'll be fine - especially if you're not pulling very hard or very fast.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast