Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dutch EMC-test for approving electric motor for road-use.

Post Thanks / Like

Dutch EMC-test for approving electric motor for road-use.

Hello,

Does anybody has experience with the process of getting the electric bike legally on the road for The Netherlands? (RDW-goedkeuring)
    I just started and it seems that most expensive test is the EMC-test.
    You need to find a company by your own which could test your bike if the EMC is within a good range. ??? (very difficult to read documents)

Then you have to bring the bike to the institute which will eventually approve or disapprove the design, they will do;
    - a probe test (try to find any components which carry live current)
    - weight test (new weight must be around old weight and center of gravity must not shifted too much to up, down, left or right)
    - then they check all kinds of regulations (wire color, kill switch etc.)
    - then a visual check, if mechanical everything is all right
    - etc. etc.
    Total costs (including EMC-test): around 2000

So, it's rather difficult to pass the test and for sure quite expensive.

Any info/experience appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

Here in Switzerland they seem to be less demanding IF you are not going to sell the motorbike but only use it yourself. Have you check if this makes a difference in the NL ?

If I want to commercialize the product, then i will have to pass a similar test to what you describe above.

EMC test i supposed is about checking electromagnetic noise ? That shouldn't be too much of a problem to pass this test for an E-bike ?

Maybe you could contact this person, he does Prius conversions in NL so he must be very familiar with these tests, very nice guy, i bought some parts from him recently, he is in Eindhoven:
    Nico De Visser
    Auto Electric Parts & Tools
    Hastelweg 272
    5652 CN Eindhoven
    Nederland
    +31 (0)40 - 252 42 62
    nico@aep-ehv.nl
    Last edited by Hugues; 01 September 2012 at 0725.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info!

jacksonwilliam
    Electrical Testing and Tagging is a means of risk management in the workplace. OHS legislation has made all levels of management personally liable for the safety of employees. When you use our electrical appliance test and tag service we provide you with an Appliance Test Log document which forms a part of your OHS risk management documentation.

Visit here

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ardhout View Post
    Hello,

Does anybody has experience with the process of getting the electric bike legally on the road for The Netherlands? (RDW-goedkeuring)
    I just started and it seems that most expensive test is the EMC-test.
    You need to find a company by your own which could test your bike if the EMC is within a good range. ??? (very difficult to read documents)

Then you have to bring the bike to the institute which will eventually approve or disapprove the design, they will do;
    - a probe test (try to find any components which carry live current)
    - weight test (new weight must be around old weight and center of gravity must not shifted too much to up, down, left or right)
    - then they check all kinds of regulations (wire color, kill switch etc.)
    - then a visual check, if mechanical everything is all right
    - etc. etc.
    Total costs (including EMC-test): around €2000

So, it's rather difficult to pass the test and for sure quite expensive.

Any info/experience appreciated.

Hi there!

Not sure if you are still active here, but I was wondering how this story ended??

Im also in the Netherlands and looking to build a motorcycle, with ME1507 motor (kartparts.fr france sells them) and a Sevcon gen4 which I hope to source via internet.
    I can't find anything about EMC compliance of these parts.. the manual of the Sevcon has some EMC guidelines and certification numbers but not sure if this is applicable for Europe.

So yeah, any help would be awesome, so I can decide if its worth it to continue ! :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi
    those test, at least over here in germany, only needet if bike first registert after Oktober 2001.
    There may be the same rule in NL so check that with your MOT Ingeneur first... worth a try.
    greets
    flo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flo View Post
    Hi
    those test, at least over here in germany, only needet if bike first registert after Oktober 2001.
    There may be the same rule in NL so check that with your MOT Ingeneur first... worth a try.
    greets
    flo
    Hey Flo,

Normally bikes from 1998 or before are not so bad to modify as the checks at the RDW are light. (Permanent vehicle regulations only)
    You can easily modify them with a bigger engine and get it changed for 80 bucks.

But somehow, we have a rule that for modifications into electric drives this doesn't count, and the bike needs to be checked against the regulations which are mandatory at the day of the testing / MOT... even if its an old bike.

So I guess Germany is actually more flexible when it comes to this!

I am also checking with the MOT guys but they are not easy to get information from.....