Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: PanAsian Scooter

Post Thanks / Like

PanAsian Scooter

I departed from Shanghai about 2p days ago and find myself now in far Gansu Province. Goal is reaching Germany lets see.

My ride turned out to be painfully slow (40km/h) top speed, but still able to get a daily average of about 120km with plenty a time of rest, repair and charge.

It runs on second hand nissan leaf cells bought cheaply on Taobao. I estimate a capacity of about 40Ah (two cells are significantly weaker than the other eight). Charges up in 3h.

Range @ about 110km, climbing hills is no problem, I was up 3000m wit this bike the last week.
    Motor is rated at 1kw
    It could have run faster if I had chosen the nominal voltage at 60V while keeping the Battery and the controller at 74V. This is a common hack to bypass chinese legislation, that limits bikes to a speed of around 25 to 35.
    I will try my luck with an adjustable dc dc boost converter next week.

The reason I kept the specs down, is to ensure a fast charge even in rural areas where big, meaty chargers would bust any fuse in the vicinity.
    I can even charge it while receiving a haircut
    As here you have a culture of free charge while buying goods or services (haircut), you can't really leave your bike charging while strolling around in the city.

As you may know or not. China is the country of electric scooters and motorcycles. Both can be bought rather cheaply at sufficient quality.

Sent from my DUK-AL20 using Tapatalk

2. Likes Richard230, T Rush, ElMotoMike, Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What an adventure! Have fun!

4. Likes Kendo_nintendo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is really cool. More pics of the bike please!

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like your front fairing! Very cool!
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: http://elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=4354

Post Thanks / Like
    Here some pictures of the build. Idk if I mentioned, the donor bike was a 杰宝大王 scooter from 2012.
    I am now at 玉门 Yumen, 甘肃Gansu Province. Will hit Kazakhstan in about two weeks.

8. Likes Spaceweasel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmm....
    cdf542bc5f75a0a6f9f600850e016cab.jpg

See in this pic all of the coiled spring mass....All of this useless weight is slowing you down buddy!
    I'd cut that spring shorter and use an adjustable spring holder like one of these:
    http://https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GC-5031-04&gclid=Cj0KCQjwodrXBRCzARIsAIU59TKQklPS_KwVh1j_2BKB vB19t-wRcZinfO-UAcpIGP-BfqlxK6Jmw5YaAqLZEALw_wcB
    Problem is you only need one of those. I don't know where you can get only just one. Maybe contact the manufacturer to explain why you only need one. Heck... you might get it for free when you show him your trek!!
    Just a friendly suggestion.
    Last edited by Stevo; 2 Weeks Ago at 0931.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a lt for the suggestion, as for now I will not touch my system as it is running and I am in the middle of the Gobi desert. As soon as I am back in Germany I will concern myself with issues such as weight and range. Plus buy better batteries haha

11. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    ....All of this useless weight is slowing you down buddy!
    How much weight do you figure that is? Maybe a pound or 5? c'mon now...

Quote Originally Posted by Kendo_nintendo View Post
    ...I will not touch my system as it is running and I am in the middle of the Gobi desert.
    LOL good decision, mate! (Anyone who can say "...it is running" and "I am in the middle of the Gobi desert" in the same sentence can run what the hell ever he wants, if you ask me. )

Great stuff, man! Rock on!
    Last edited by Ted Dillard; 2 Weeks Ago at 0452.
    Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles
    www.powerinflux.com

13. Likes Richard230 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Dillard View Post
    How much weight do you figure that is? Maybe a pound or 5? c'mon now...

LOL good decision, mate! (Anyone who can say "...it is running" and "I am in the middle of the Gobi desert" in the same sentence can run what the hell ever he wants, if you ask me. )

Great stuff, man! Rock on!
    LOL! I wasn't knocking it... I like his home made leading link front suspension! It's a great start to a great idea! I'd be taking a drill with a hole saw and shedding all kinds of weight off of that thing!!

15. Likes Ted Dillard liked this post