Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kelly KLS8080 Auto Identify Help

Post Thanks / Like

Kelly KLS8080 Auto Identify Help

Hey all, I have a 96V, 300A Kelly KLS8080IPS that I'm trying to get running. I'm in contact with Kelly but so far they haven't been able to resolve my issue.

As far as I know (and according to Kelly) all my motor and sensor parameters are set correctly. I write "170" to the identification angle field, wait, power cycle the controller, and then it begins its routine. It appears to simply be stepping through a full 6 commutations. After that, you're supposed to get a "reset error" in the monitor window, but this never comes. I've waited a long time and it never goes to "85" nor throws any error or anything.

Has anyone experienced this and resolved it? Is there a way to manually configure the identification angle? Is there CLI that I can access and get more information as to what's going on?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    After Reset, If you turn the throttle does the motor spin?
    If that's the case then i wouldn't sweat it unless you find that your efficiency is terrible.

Also if you are using the app try using a laptop or vice versa?
    I have found tablets to be more communication stable then using an android phone

good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcnall View Post
    After Reset, If you turn the throttle does the motor spin?
    If that's the case then i wouldn't sweat it unless you find that your efficiency is terrible.
    It will twitch and/or whine (I watch the current to make sure it's not doing anything bad), but not spin. I was able to get it to spin if I turn the field drive off (rotor un-magnetized), but I think in that case it's sort of behaving like an induction motor. If I apply any load whatsoever it stops, naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcnall View Post
    Also if you are using the app try using a laptop or vice versa?
    I have found tablets to be more communication stable then using an android phone

good luck.
    I'm using a laptop. Though sometimes it has trouble connecting initially, I do see throttle input reads and stuff like that so I know I'm talking to the controller.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a while since I setup my KLS-8080I on my bike, so unfortunately, I don't remember much of the specifics now.

however, when I did it, I made a video. I'm not sure if it'll help, but maybe there will be something.

Good Luck.
    EVs: 2007 Zapino Scooter, Honda VF500 Conversion (electriceptor.wordpress.com), Red Nissan LEAF SL (Arrived!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha, thanks, I've watched your video twice now looking for clues/differences. One is obviously the I vs IPS distinction but beyond that I'm doing what you're doing and my motor behaves just like yours during the "identify" routine.

Thanks, your videos are helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ldopa_chicago View Post
    Ha, thanks, I've watched your video twice now looking for clues/differences. One is obviously the I vs IPS distinction but beyond that I'm doing what you're doing and my motor behaves just like yours during the "identify" routine.

Thanks, your videos are helpful.
    Bummer. It was a long shot.

From what you mention though, I don't think I ever received a "reset error" in the window either. I just reset the controller and re-read the config.

Have you tried swapping the phase wires and re-trying the autoconfig? (I'm absolutely grasping at straws here, but since the magic doesn't seem to be working, this is something i'd try).
    EVs: 2007 Zapino Scooter, Honda VF500 Conversion (electriceptor.wordpress.com), Red Nissan LEAF SL (Arrived!)

Post Thanks / Like
    No, I haven't swapped phase wires yet, but that's definitely worth trying. Theoretically it shouldn't matter but...I have nothing to lose!

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, exactly.

maybe also make sure the hall sensor wires are correct and/or swap them up too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try raising the CPU power to 24 volts I had trouble at 12 volts very similar to what you're getting
    Trying to Change the old school ways of doing things
    But I never Never try to break the laws of Physics
    http://www.enertrac.net
    http://www.evalbum.com/preview.php?vid=1543
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEldNmBgIF0
    http://www.evalbum.com/2568

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by markcycle View Post
    Try raising the CPU power to 24 volts I had trouble at 12 volts very similar to what you're getting
    Right! I run mine at 24V on @markcycle's recommendation (well from running a my original Kelly KBL controller).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast