Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shameless plug: battery comparison website

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add PaulWay on Google+
    Visit PaulWay's Youtube Channel

Shameless plug: battery comparison website

Hi all!

When I was building my bike, I found so many different cells, and different chemistries, and different online stores selling the same cells, or different cells - it was all too confusing. First I made a spreadsheet. Then I needed something more powerful, so I made a database. Then I fitted the database with a web front end, and the result is:

http://mabula.tangram.dnsalias.net/battcomp/

It has three main features:

1. You can compare all the known cells and sort them by empiric criteria (e.g. weight, amp-hours) or by calculated data (e.g. watt hours per kilogram or price per amp-hour).
    2. You can list the cells of a given manufacturer and see which online stores sell them at what price.
    3. Most importantly: you can specify your pack size in voltage and kilograms and it'll calculate every possible combination of cells that can be built into a pack of that size. Then you can sort those results and filter them.

The main thing I need is more information about manufacturers, cells and online stores. If I don't list cells or prices you know (and have a URL for), please send them to me here or by email on the site It's hard to keep the site up to date and new manufacturers keep on appearing, so getting a few more clued-in eyeballs to send me details is very useful.

The other thing I'd like to know is what features you think the site could have. It's a bit data heavy and doesn't really present all its information in an easy-to-use way, but I want to know how you'd like to use it (rather than just programming what I'd like).

Hope this is OK,

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Paul! Great idea! The constant flux of vaporware, dubious suppliers and ever changing prices will keep you busy!

Just another thought - EV-Power is another supplier of CALB and EIG cells, so you can update them if you like.

Cheers,
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add PaulWay on Google+
    Thanks, Chris. I would list them, except there are no prices listed on the website - instead, it's "please contact us for a quote". So this doesn't really help us compare prices. If you have some sway with EV Power and can convince them to put at least a reasonable figure on the website, I'll list that.

I've generally tried to stick to only listing prices on an actual website, rather than using what prices people have quoted on places like Endless Sphere and in other conversations. I think that gives regular people more of a chance to know the actual price they're going to get - specific quotes for specific packs sent to specific locations aren't, in my opinion, a good indication of general price for the average person.

Thanks,

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    CALB 100 Ah ~ $130 ex GST
    CALB 60 Ah ~ $80 ex GST
    CALB 40 Ah ~ $50 ex GST

EIG C020 20 Ah ~ $95 ex GST (this varies considerably depending on what cost EV-Power can bring them in for. Currently, that cost is "more than we'd like". Dangerous Goods shipping is a licence to ream

Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea.

Wondered why it didn't suggest anything over 25Ah when I tried it?

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add PaulWay on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Edwards View Post
    Great idea.

Wondered why it didn't suggest anything over 25Ah when I tried it?
    What were your parameters? If you're in the USA, you will need to convert to kilograms, but if you'd fed pounds into it it would have given you more options rather than less...

(make mental note: make a "return to this search" link which shows the query in GET form).

Have fun,

Paul
    Last edited by PaulWay; 17 July 2013 at 1625. Reason: make mental note...

Post Thanks / Like
    700V 130Kg

Post Thanks / Like
    Do your calculations use the resistance for each pack to calculate the voltage drop under load?

Post Thanks / Like
    Doing my best not to hijack your thread but the SLPB75106205 you show isn't listed on the Dow Kokam or the Kokam websites as far as I can see. I can google the spec. sheet for it but can anyone see a page where it is listed as a current product? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add PaulWay on Google+
    Mike, that's not hijacking the thread, that's giving me useful information!

Re the pack - the query you're doing is: http://mabula.tangram.dnsalias.net/b...700&weight=350 right? I can see the 40AH EIG Battery C040 amongst others there. Did you select only rectangular-prismatic cells?

(Aside: 350kgs? That's either the motorcycle from HELL or a car )

Re resistance - No, I don't record resistance; some times it's hard enough just getting what the cells C rating is. Some manufacturers don't list the dimensions or the weight of the cell, as if amp-hour capacity or watt-hours-per-kilo rating is all you need to decide to use a cell. It's a good idea though. How do you do that calculation?

Re the SLPB75106205 - I should add a flag that indicates 'in production'. There are a few manufacturers - e.g. CALB - who have a range of old cells that are still listed on websites (and may even still be in stock) but are no longer being produced.

When setting up the site I had found a lot of information about cells, but many of them - Tenergy, Yok, Dow Kokam - were only available if you wrote to the manufacturer. Even then, you might not get them if you weren't ordering a thousand of them. Still, it's useful information and something we can drool over, so I listed them.

Keeping the site current and finding new online stores is the hardest part of running the site. That's where I appreciate other people's help - and a lot of EV builders will have done this kind of research too.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast