Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Pumps and radiators for water cooling

Post Thanks / Like

Pumps and radiators for water cooling

Hey all,
    I've got a new-to-me bike I'll introduce in another thread sometime. It has a Curtis 1238-7501 controller. It has a heatsink now, but I would like to watercool it since I will be riding through some hot areas, potentially with big climbs. Furthermore, the previous owner already did most of the work in having a cooling plate made for the controller, so I just need to do the easy stuff.

What kind of radiators and pumps have you found success with? I can grab a generic oil or transmission fluid cooler for the radiator, and I could find a variety of water pumps too- but I'm curious what other have had good luck with.

2. Likes Spaceweasel liked this post
    Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought of using this one, but 30L/min is way more than needed. https://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-12...!US!-1&vxp=mtr

I'm going to try this one, but I modified the intake with JB Weld and some black PVC fittings to run an inlet hose. This one is better at 12L/min, but designed to be submerged. So I'm not sure if it will get too hot from not being in a submerged tank.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/38mm-Water-....c100005.m1851
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add furyphoto on Facebook
    Check out computer liquid cooling components, you can get a variety of rads that fit computer cooling fans. Pumps available too, you can build a small or big one depending on how much cooling you need.
    -Andrew

http://www.andrewdoran.com
    mail(at)andrewdoran.com

My ElMoto Project "Electric Hurricane" - 1987 Honda CBR600 F1: Check out my Build ALBUM
    My ICE Cafe Racer Project "My Precious" - 1983 Honda CM400 Classic

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree Andrew. I think electric motors and controllers run alot cooler than ICE. ICE produces temps ranging from over 450*C in exhaust gases, pistons can get over 300*C and cylinder walls above 150*C. The failure temp of an F rated industrial motor and a lot of electric component's insulation is 150*C.
    I can't find any info on requirements for cooling the Motenergy ME1616 that I'm going to upgrade to anywhere on the internet. I think the temps of the coolant wont be anywhere near the temps seen on ICE, so I've decided to use a fan cooled heat sink for the exchanger. Here are some pics of where I'm at with that:

heat exchanger.jpg

heat exchanger back.jpg

mounted HE.jpg

It's heavier than a standard radiator but consumes much less space. It's also solid as hell and should withstand crash impacts a lot better than a standard dirtbike radiator. I've had to repair a few in my day!

I'm also planning on using Arduino to monitor the coolant temperatures. You've inspired me to design and build a chill plate for my Sevcon. Thank you!
    Last edited by Stevo; 10 February 2018 at 1020.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

6. Likes marcexec liked this post