Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nic's Kawasaki Ninja 250 EV conversion

Post Thanks / Like

Nic's Kawasaki Ninja 250 EV conversion

Here goes.

I've never been one to post/write on forums, this will be my first newbie experience. Every thread I have read so far has been filled with great information, people helping people and thoughts and concerns that are well thought out and written. I hope to continue that trend without making a complete @$$ of myself in the process. Thank you for your patience with my lack of know-how, both electric and forum related.

On to the meat.

I bought a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250 as the title of this thread hints at
    I have completely disassembled the bike of the IC parts and have purchased the below from EVdrives .com

Motenergy ME1003 Motor, 11.5KW continuous, 23KW Peak for 1 minute @ 72Volts
    AXE7245 at 450amps - with fuse
    SW200 solenoid
    3 amp Diode & 470 ohm Pre-charge Resistor
    Throttle - Magura Twist Grip

I have yet to purchase batteries, or a charger as I am currently working on a custom motor mount. I have seen many people use 1/4" and 1/2" 6061 aluminum and I plan on doing the same. I am looking for ME1003 blueprints I can print to scale and follow others lead by printing and then milling out the aluminum at a fabrication shop.

I know have a long way to go and I hope to have a complete bike within the year.
    Any suggestions or advice on resources to help me decide based on my needs ( 75MPH highway, 50 mile range daily) would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading!IMG_1145.jpgIMG_1146.jpgIMG_1148.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    The drawing of the motor can be downloaded from this page.

It says "do not scale drawing" but it does provide exact dimensions for the mounting holes and a few other dimensions. Welcome, you'll find a lot of Ninja 250 ideas on this site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice....I love the look of the 2nd gen 250's!
    2003 Ninja 250EX, Agni #95R, 6:1 Gearing, 11 Leaf Modules.
    Alltrax SPM72400, 400 amp Controller, all LED lighting
    2014 CRF450X Supermoto
    http://www.evalbum.com/1955
    http://www.evalbum.com/3337

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. Great project you have going. I'm planning to use the exact same motor/controller kit for my bike from evdrives.

What batteries & bms do you plan to use?

That range & speed sounds doable. Probably going to need a 6kwhr pack to achieve it.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is exactly what I am researching now. I started a new job last month and have been playing catch-up ever since. I did manage to cut out my motor bracket and get it attached to the frame.
    I really want to try out CALB 100AH's and I am trying to find out how many I'll need. At 3.2V each I would need 23 to get to 73.6V (to make sure I am getting 72V to the controller and subsequently the motor).

I thought I read about people getting close to 90V to the controller which I think it can handle, but I'm not sure why they would since the controller should only allow 72 to the motor.
    Also, BMS is really challenging me. I see people just add in their circuit board and BAM! problem solved. But I'm the type of person who needs to understand it before I buy and attempt it.

Anyone out there have experience with CALB's/BMS or any of these expensive goodies? I want to stay away from AGM's.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had 25 CALBs with Mini BMS before switching to the LEAF cells. The Mini BMS works great. I did mine in 2008, First was 6 35ah AGMS, then 25 40ah CALBS and now 11 Leaf Modules. Fitting 24 100 AH into a Ninja will be tight but it has been done.
    2014 CRF450X Supermoto

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I might just go Leaf Modules right away. I found 8 modules on hybrid auto center . com and I'm trying to find out if I can get 3 more modules individually to make my 11 modules and obtain over 72V. Awaiting a response.

Lets talk chargers! DRZ GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    You have 2 options for chargers:

Meanwell HLG LED Poweder Supplies - make sure you get the model with the adjustable voltage and current output (has 2 rubber caps to cover trim pots, the model number will end with an A). You can get 2 of these in 320W or 600W at 48V and wire them in series to get your final pack voltage. Easy to work with and adjustable.

The other option would be a Delta-Q Quiq charger, but you'll have to get somebody to program it for you. I think Travis (frodus) sells them and programs them. They also have a built in DC/DC converter and have a switched and unswitched output (meaning you can have certain things always powered and certain things powered only when a switch is used)

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using the BMSBattery 600 watt alloy charger. Cost about $75.00 Very easy to adjust output V or I with internal pots. Since I don't use a BMS I slightly undercharge to 90 volts (11 modules) @6 amps. The charger has worked flawlessly for 5 years. I think they have a 900 watt version now as well. The Guys over at endlessphere have fully documented these chargers to component level.
    2014 CRF450X Supermoto

Post Thanks / Like
    No BMS? This is the first I've read about being okay without them. Meanwell has an awesome reputation and that was my first thought. Jonny Panic, I'll look at the Delta-Q Quiq charger, if it's the yellow one I'm thinking of, it was crazy expensive, like $500. A little out of budget for something that still requires overnight to fully charge.
    Thanks for all the help everyone. I think will be buying my Leaf Modules from Hybrid Auto Center. 1,419 including rods and end brackets. Before I pull the trigger, is that an okay price? (Best I've found so far)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast