Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: ultra low tech homemade electric motorcycles

Post Thanks / Like

ultra low tech homemade electric motorcycles

anyone know of more pictures or videos of these creations ?

check out the battery pack wiring, 'throttle' control switch, 'double belt' reduction 'gearbox', regen/brake, 'drill-chuck' drive sprocket attachment, and all the other details of this

something about this level of craftsmanship I always find amazing
    Last edited by T Rush; 07 April 2018 at 0626.

2. Likes Richard230, Spoonman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A true bodger. I love the "double drive belts" (in case one breaks) and the selection of safety riding gear, such as the flip-flops. Excellent learn-on-the-fly and reuse whatever you can find bootstrap work.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    the music and the instructional steps to DIY are really helpful....now I know how to proceed with my project
    (its like exactly how I was thinking to do mine!)

be sure to watch IchibanMoto's youtube for more building tips https://www.youtube.com/c/IchibanMoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Ted Dillard; 07 April 2018 at 0727.
    Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles
    www.powerinflux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    altho Mr. Electron didn't solder or use connectors when he put the battery pack in series, also all the other wire joining is just twisted left bare without even electrical tape, and the video spends a lot of time showing him making that sprocket adapter(that would fit on the motor shaft?) that I don't even see if he used it on the final build anywhere, plus of course that 'throttle' click off click on(and it stays on!) switch thats gonna suck the first time you get your pants leg caught up in the doubled up belts; it works which is more than I can say for my bike atm

...I probably could be mean and find more stuff to 'make fun of', but seriously I do think there is something very cool about ingenuity and craftsmanship like this...this even transcends a level of sloppy duct-tape use; like notice that hes used an old inter-tube to tie the battery pack to the frame, and I only wish I could closely examine that 'gearbox' and all the things he combined to get the 'drill-chuck' sprocket on there ....fascinating
    Last edited by T Rush; 07 April 2018 at 2028.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow, talk about the other end of the spectrum....here is one that is completely finished a little too nicely
    ....cool that it has 'drum' brakes tho

[I've dug up a few more 'low tech' ones....I'll see if I can find the links again to post]

8. Likes Richard230, Spaceweasel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is really well done. I think it would be fun to do the same with some of the new larger lawn mower sized packs. https://egopowerplus.com/collections...eries-chargers