Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adding a centrifugal clutch to the drag bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Acceleration under gravity is certainly a constant.
    Accordingly, velocity builds linearly to the point of aerodynamic significance.
    Displacement is a second order function alright, but not either of the others.

With the bike, if we can assume full current from 0 RPM then, winding effects neglected, the torque will be a constant up to the point where the BEMF comes into play.
    Consequently the acceleration must also be constant, and hence the velocity gain linear (to the point of aerodynamic significance).

To your arse it won't feel like that though.

2. Likes Stevo, EVcycle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    DC motors seem to transfer the energy more quickly. That is why a lot of drag racers have been using them at the expense of the brushes, added weight and lower RPMs. I still have a DC motor in my street ridden Cafe racer.
    The AC motor seems to need a bit more rotation before it gets rolling, but after that is is a torque monster up to 8000 RPM and the only issues (to me anyway) is a bit more cost and getting all the programming right in the controller.

The bike is running well with the Sevcon/AC motor, but that will be ungraded soon ( bigger motor and controller).

Like anything in the world of EVs, it depends on the application on what you want / need.
    EV Ed
    Never let being a responsible adult get in the way of passion and curiosity.
    Motenergy.com
    Ev album 2456, 2458, 2457, 2681, 3456, 3630

Post Thanks / Like
    Curious: what will you upgrade to?

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

5. Likes Stevo, EVcycle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Curious: what will you upgrade to?
    Motor is still being figured out, Contoller will be a SME 750 amp (now Dana corp)
    EV Ed
    Never let being a responsible adult get in the way of passion and curiosity.
    Motenergy.com
    Ev album 2456, 2458, 2457, 2681, 3456, 3630

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12