Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Smart phone Horsepower measurement apps

Post Thanks / Like

Smart phone Horsepower measurement apps

The July issue of Motorcycle Consumer News contains an article discussing dynamometers. In a sidebar to this article they review a couple of smart phone applications that they say will provide an approximation of the horsepower and torque, along with some performance statistics for your vehicle, just by performing full-throttle acceleration. Attached are photos of two of the app reviews that sounded interesting and potentially useful for a motorcycle owner.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Richard - Current bikes: 2014 14.2 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the tip Richard, i've just installed the 2nd one, straightforward little app, i'll give it a try next week-end.

I wonder how accurate the GPS is for this kind of measure though, might have to repeat the measure a couple of times. But hey, its' free

thanks
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Tried GPS acceleration app today, to measure 0 to 100 km/h acceleration, could not get it to work because my GPS speed never got to zero, even though i was stopped, it was reading minimum 2 km/h. If someone has an idea how to fix this. Can use 10 to 100 km/h, but it's not exactly what i want.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugues View Post
    Tried GPS acceleration app today, to measure 0 to 100 km/h acceleration, could not get it to work because my GPS speed never got to zero, even though i was stopped, it was reading minimum 2 km/h. If someone has an idea how to fix this. Can use 10 to 100 km/h, but it's not exactly what i want.
    Perhaps you need to stop the world turning. I guess you get what you pay for. And also perhaps the magazine didn't actually test the apps that they reviewed. Obviously I have no answer to your question as I struggle to make a phone call with my smart phone - much less getting an app to work.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2014 14.2 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

5. Likes Hugues liked this post