Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor selection advise wanted

Post Thanks / Like

Motor selection advise wanted

Hi all.
    Long time lurker, ex electric car owner (Mitsubishi i MiEV) and about to be bike converter...

I've got a Honda Hornet with a blown engine...originally fitted with MC22 engine from a CBR250RR but in a naked frame.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CB250F

My brother blew the engine racing an R6 over a mountain...
    Bike is in good nick otherwise, and importantly it is free and LAMS approved (Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme) which means I will be able to legally ride it.

To keep LAMS rating, an electric bike needs to be below 25kW.

Batteries are sorted, will be using lightly used pouch cells obtained at the right price from a friend.

Keeping chain drive so no hub motors, and I want a top speed of 130kmh at full tilt so I can use the maximum speed limit on local freeways of 110kmh without being at max.

Voltage will probably be 72-96 range depending on motor and controller chosen.

Budget for the motor is tight, cheaper is better, but a couple of hundred to make a difference between a slug and a nice bike is going to be found if needed.

From some reading I'm thInking the ME0913 with a Kelly KLS7230S might be a good combo...motor limited to 30kW peak, but controller limited to 21.5kW keeps it under the legal limit, and has regen capabililty.

Is there anything I'm missing?
    Is there a better option?

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    I have a friend that has an HPEVS AC12 motor with a Curtis 1236 controller (AC) at 350A for sale. It's small, and just around 25kW peak. 72V (108V max battery side). I can throw in a lead acid 72V charger for $50 if you want it.

Where are you located?

Post Thanks / Like
    Australia

Post Thanks / Like
    How much is the $500 motor and controller? How many hours? My agni ate its brushes..... no one stocks them.
    2003 Ninja 250EX, Agni #95R, 6:1 Gearing, 11 Leaf Modules.
    Alltrax SPM72400, 400 amp Controller, all LED lighting
    2014 CRF450X Supermoto
    http://www.evalbum.com/1955
    http://www.evalbum.com/3337

Post Thanks / Like
    Shameless plug: https://endless-sphere.com/w/index.p...otor_Selection - maybe you can find something that fits there, too.
    Good proposals in this thread already. Have you considered hub motors, like Enertrac, QS Motor? They make for a bloody easy mechanical fit - see the end of my thread at ES.
    My Suzuki RF400 build over at ES: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/vie...p?f=12&t=35865
    (Enertrac MHM602, Kelly KHB14301, 6kWh AESC modules (Renault, Nissan))
    Based in Dublin, Ireland

Post Thanks / Like
    Have looked into hub motors, but the bike has matched and good looking alloy wheels and I'd like to keep them, along with the ability to change gearing easily so I'd rather go mid mount chain drive.

AC12 is a good option...bit dear to get new, but secondhand is possible.

At the moment I'm probably 3 months away from pulling the trigger on a drive package. I want to be ready to go at that time though and hopefully have the mounts designed in CAD and be ready to go when the funds pop up.
    Paying for a new transmission for my wife's car and new tyres for both cars and registration fees and so on...but the budget has room for e-bike bits in about three months or so.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Carnut,
    I can ship internationally, no worries. Used not many miles on it, under 500 I think. I also sell HPEVS new if you decide to go that direction.

It's a good motor/controller combo, pretty mature, no tuning required. Easy (only bearings) maintenance. Lots of support in the controller for reading with OBDII and configuring the throttle and other parameters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frodus View Post
    Carnut,
    I can ship internationally, no worries. Used not many miles on it, under 500 I think. I also sell HPEVS new if you decide to go that direction.

It's a good motor/controller combo, pretty mature, no tuning required. Easy (only bearings) maintenance. Lots of support in the controller for reading with OBDII and configuring the throttle and other parameters.
    Totally Carnuts call on this one but if he decides not to buy this 2nd hand motor then I'd like to discuss it further with you frodus. I'm down here in Melbourne Australia and am getting my project underway as we speak. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Sure thing. Trying to keep the motor in the family. Not making anything off it, just helping a friend who built it and hasn't ridden in a while.

Will get some more info, and after next week, strip it off the bike and check everything still works as intended.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, if kwikas has the cash waiting before I do, go for it.
    What sort of $$$ are we talking about?
    I like the HPEVS stuff from what I've seen, but it's a little outside the bike budget to buy new I think.
    Flat out for next couple of months getting one car tidied up and sold, another one getting new transmission and going back on the road, and paying a bunch of bills but then I get to spend some money on making a toy.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast