Power in Flux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Boulder startup - Electroride

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

New Boulder startup - Electroride

I just met these folks yesterday. They're right here in my hometown of Boulder, and they seem serious about actually building and selling elmotos. As in, they have a running prototype, not just a CAD model.

Their Spark M4 looks similar to a Zero, but with some interesting differences (like a Headway pack).

http://www.boulderelectroride.com/
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Coincidentally they just PM'd me yesterday on Endless-Sphere about battery stuff.

The proto looks great, Can't wait to see more from these guys.
    Travis

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frodus View Post
    Coincidentally they just PM'd me yesterday on Endless-Sphere about battery stuff.

The proto looks great, Can't wait to see more from these guys.
    I told them they should contact you about the Headways...hope you don't mind.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by podolefsky View Post
    I told them they should contact you about the Headways...hope you don't mind.
    its my job I work for Manzanita Micro part time. I also help Dave Kois, who he purchased the batteries from. I appreciate the referral.
    Travis

Post Thanks / Like
    That's awesome! Only advice I can give is that they lose the kelly and either go with the 500A model or an alltrax. The more I see the current numbers you, noah, are getting from you GBS cells I believe my kelly is not pulling its weight. You have seen a max 300A battery side and I have only see 180A and that is at WOT at all speeds. I use a kelly 400A and it aint pushin my agni 95R very much, i think ill do a side by side comparision with an alltrax 450A this summer to prove this.

Still awesome to see some start-ups pushing the limits!
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuts & Volts View Post
    That's awesome! Only advice I can give is that they lose the kelly and either go with the 500A model or an alltrax. The more I see the current numbers you, noah, are getting from you GBS cells I believe my kelly is not pulling its weight. You have seen a max 300A battery side and I have only see 180A and that is at WOT at all speeds. I use a kelly 400A and it aint pushin my agni 95R very much, i think ill do a side by side comparision with an alltrax 450A this summer to prove this.

Still awesome to see some start-ups pushing the limits!
    That's good to know - I'll relay that info to them.

Curious, what is your gear ratio again? As I posted on the Elmoto 2.0 thread, I've been finding that max current draw is related to gearing (and hence load seen by motor).
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Phil Thayer has mentioned pulling momentary peaks over 200 amps with his KD72401.

Post Thanks / Like
    summary: agni 95R, 5:1 (12:60) gearing, kelly PMDC 400A with regen, and 24 60ah GBS cells, 425lbs w/ 180lb rider, full-fairing katana

Max current at 35mph and around 50 mph was 160-180 battery side. Kelly is pretty much maxed out on programming. Also 35mph was at ~65F and 50mph was at ~40F. I dont have to many data points (future plan is to attach gps, stop watch, and camera, and just ride around to collect data).

Seems your data shows the battery isnt the issue. Motor has never been too hot to touch. So the controller is most likely the issue.

if this is too off topic maybe we shoule PM. Kelly and agni are relevant thou.

edit: thats good to know thanks billmi. who is phil thayer by the way?
    Last edited by Nuts & Volts; 03 March 2011 at 1055.
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuts & Volts View Post
    summary: agni 95R, 5:1 (12:60) gearing, kelly PMDC 400A with regen, and 24 60ah GBS cells, 425lbs w/ 180lb rider, full-fairing katana

Max current at 35mph and around 50 mph was 160-180 battery side. Kelly is pretty much maxed out on programming. Also 35mph was at ~65F and 50mph was at ~40F. I dont have to many data points (future plan is to attach gps, stop watch, and camera, and just ride around to collect data).

Seems your data shows the battery isnt the issue. Motor has never been too hot to touch. So the controller is most likely the issue.

if this is too off topic maybe we shoule PM. Kelly and agni are relevant thou.
    I think it's on topic since their bike will potentially have a Kelly / Agni setup. I've heard other reports that Kelly's are overrated, Alltrax are pretty accurate...but don't want to knock them without good data.

When I was running 13:65 (1:5), I was pulling around 250-280A max. So it could be your system is capable of more with a higher load.

Maybe you could find a steep hill and see how much current you can pull accelerating from a stop. If it's still only around 200A, then it sounds like controller. Batteries and motor should both be capable of 400A.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by podolefsky View Post
    I think it's on topic since their bike will potentially have a Kelly / Agni setup. I've heard other reports that Kelly's are overrated, Alltrax are pretty accurate...but don't want to knock them without good data.

When I was running 13:65 (1:5), I was pulling around 250-280A max. So it could be your system is capable of more with a higher load.

Maybe you could find a steep hill and see how much current you can pull accelerating from a stop. If it's still only around 200A, then it sounds like controller. Batteries and motor should both be capable of 400A.
    Sounds like a plan! Too bad im 2000 miles away from my bike until June.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast