Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer project

Not to be taken seriously DaveAK's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Summer project

It's not a bike, but it does use these motors, so please humor me by not having Mike ban me.

motors.jpg

This is going to be a very long drawn out process, so don't expect many updates. It's taken me a month to get the motors, and I don't expect the controllers until the end of this month. I'll be collecting parts as I get funds and maybe start construction around June time.

Like everything I do I don't have a clue. I make it all up as I go along and learn by my mistakes. Here's a basic CAD model of what I'm going for - subject to a lot of changes I expect.

mule.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow harlan On Twitter Add harlan on Facebook
    Visit harlan's Youtube Channel
    Will it turn?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by harlan View Post
    Will it turn?
    I sure hope so!! Left and right sides are independently controlled for speed and direction. It should be able to turn on the spot theoretically.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since my bike is up and running, (and the riding season is now over), I've been back on this project off and on. It's gone through a few design changes and it's not going to be the behemoth in the OP anymore, but something much more svelt, (and cheaper!). It's still using the twin motors and controllers and today I finally got them up and running together, controlled by a VB program through an Arduino microcontroller. Using a single joystick I can control the motors idependently for both speed and direction. The motors have speed sensors which feed back to the Arduino and from there back to the PC. I don't have the speeds synced up right now, I'm going to have to do some reading up on closed loop algorithms to figure out the best way of doing that.

One thing that I found is that the Sevcon controllers are slower in reverse. Nothing in the manual about that, and it's not really an issue right now, but I kinda thought I might be able to run this beast in either direction at the same speed and not worry about a front or a back. Still, now the design has changed from the original this is probably moot.

I had hoped to have video to show of my bench test setup. It's quite frightening! The safety conscious of you would probably cry. I'm off work the week after next and intend to get a frame built and the motors mounted. I might even be able to get it moving around if all goes well. I'll make sure to beg, borrow or steal a video camera for that!

teddillard
    DYING to see it Dave. I have my notions of what it is you're up to.

FYI, any POS pocket point and shoot digital camera these days has video... not to mention any decent phone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teddillard View Post
    DYING to see it Dave. FYI, any POS pocket point and shoot digital camera these days has video... not to mention any decent phone.
    Unfortunately my POS digital is literally a POS, as an anology, metaphorically speaking. Anyway, it takes **** pictures because I can never get it to focus. I could try my wife's iPod Touch, but beyond that we got nothing. Apart for the Flip camera that I haven't been able to find for a couple of years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a couple of pictures that are actually in focus. If I can figure out why maybe I'll take some more.

SDC10821.jpg

SDC10822.jpg

teddillard
    SWEET! Lovin' the joystick.

Post Thanks / Like
    So here's 'the thing' with motors mounted. Had a quick test run tonight but it needs a fair bit of debugging yet. I think I may have over done the speed. Had to de-tune it and I still kept crashing in to things. Got a lot more to do yet with regard to wiring etc., but I hope to mount the secret weapon this coming weekend. The wireless joystick control seems to work well, but also needs some work.

Sorry about the crappy focus on the first picture.

SDC10827.jpg

SDC10829.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    WOOF!

That is a bit of HP there sir. I love lots of HP but not sure I would be "Mounting" it just yet.

We will need video!
    EV Ed
    Never let being a responsible adult get in the way of passion and curiosity.
    Motenergy.com
    Ev album 2456, 2458, 2457, 2681, 3456, 3630

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast