Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BMS grades / types / categories

o_O
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuts & Volts View Post
    By the way this level system could be awesome. If any new members come on we can point them to this thread and they can tell them to go for a level 11 BMS someday. Level 11 will work like a microwave, but instead of pushing the popcorn button you push the LiPo quick charge option or the max energy charge buttons.

Also I would suggest making the charge shuttling and bleed resistors should be on two different levels. The availability, complexity and cost between the two is pretty significant IMHO.
    A Level 11 popcorn button ?

Let me think about the charge shuttling vs shunting category. While the implementation & cost are very different between the two, the end goal is the same: to top-balance the cells. The levels are categorized based on overall goal and not so much implementation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    A Level 11 popcorn button ?

Let me think about the charge shuttling vs shunting category. While the implementation & cost are very different between the two, the end goal is the same: to top-balance the cells. The levels are categorized based on overall goal and not so much implementation.
    Ok i follow and agree with your system.

Yes the popcorn button is a must. Ever notice that is the only preset button on the microwave that ever gets used?? clearly that's a sign that it needs to be on a BMS of the future
    Last edited by Nuts & Volts; 12 March 2011 at 2230.
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow I'm really not doing my job if our BMS doesn't even make the list. I'll work on this.
    Last edited by Skeezmour; 12 March 2011 at 2238.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeezmour View Post
    Wow I'm really not doing my job if our BMS doesn't even make the list. I'll work on this.
    Apologizes sir. We are still in process of creating the list, I dont think anyone that has posted so far has experience with your BMS.
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey no problem Nuts & Volts. We have probably been doing it longer than anyone else on the lists (not 100% sure but likely), going on 17 years. We are talking about new models geared more specifically to smaller ev's (bicycles, Elmotos, ect...). Of course cost is an issue that we are always working on but I'll apologize about cost before I'll compromise quality. Our gear is built right here in Washington State. Feel free to check out the current line of BMS/Chargers/Displays and let me know if you have any specific questions.
    Last edited by Skeezmour; 12 March 2011 at 2308.

o_O
    Post Thanks / Like
    Links or it doesn't exist (to paraphrase Bruce)

In all seriousness, post or PM any info you can and I'll add it to the list. I don't claim to know of all the BMS's out there (I'm certain I don't). Just hoping to gather information so that we can all be better informed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a link to our MK3x8 BMS boards. I'm copying over the current discription from the page.
    http://www.manzanitamicro.com/produc...category_id=22

MK3x8 Digital Lithium Regulator

The MK3x8 is an eight channel Lithium Ion Regulator like our Mk3x4 four channel regulator. With the change from through-hole to Surface Mount we have been able to decrease the per cell price and shrink the size from 8x4 inches to 6.9x2.4 inches with twice the channels. It has the ability to run on as few as 4 cells and any number up to 8. The MK3x8 dissipates 2.5 amps per channel speeding up the eqaulization process.
    CUSTOMER REVIEW:
    - Manzanita Micro gave us an awesome HUGE charger (PFC50) and provided a great BMS (using MK3x8s) for our battery pack. (The BMS just plugged in and worked perfectly. Nifty color-coded LEDs tell you exactly what is going on. Plug in your laptop if you want the detailed info on a cell level. Plugs right into the charger. Awesome.) - Eva Håkansson and the Electrocat
    KEY FEATURES
    · Real time voltage monitoring of 4 to 8 lithium cells
    · Real time temperature sensing of up to 8 external temp sensors
    · Additional temperature sensor included on BMS module’s heat sink
    · Small size is less than 1 inch thick and 7 inches long by 2.4 inches wide
    · Quick automatic cell equalization and balancing with high and low voltage on board indicators and outputs to the charger
    · Two high speed real-time warning lines which can be relay buffered for external use
    · All BMS modules connect together using readily available RJ cable
    · BMS easily connects to a PC using the DT USB adapter (Dongle/Terminator sold separately)
    · Free Windows based scanner and command software available for download at www.manzanitamicro.com in the download section under MK3 Reg Support.
    · All commands are easily entered and read in simple ASCII text
    · Easy user adjustable min and max voltage parameters allow flexibility for various types of lithium cells from 1.75 to 5.5 volts per cell
    · Each BMS board can bypass up to 2.5 amps per cell equating to fast charging and equalization of unbalanced cells
    · Dual RJ reg bus ports for easy connection to the charger or other BMS units in a simple daisy chain fashion
    · Self regulating thermal protection and feedback to Manzanita Micro Chargers
    · Built-in active variable speed 12V DC fan control output on each BMS unit. The fan settings can be viewed and changed using the software found on our website
    · Large heat spreader is totally isolated from the cells and is already threaded for easy mounting to a larger heat sink.
    · Each unit can dissipate up to 110 watts

Post Thanks / Like
    You can also add the Chargery cell monitors V3.0 and 4.0 to the list as Level 1 BMS's these have rughly the same features as Cell-log.
    http://www.chargery.com/cellMonitor.asp
    http://www.chargery.com/cellSaver.asp
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage

teddillard
    So, where does the balancing charger fit in with this BMS scenario? Let's say, for the sake of argument, a balancing charger on LiPo with a cell monitoring (Level 0?) system?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teddillard View Post
    So, where does the balancing charger fit in with this BMS scenario? Let's say, for the sake of argument, a balancing charger on LiPo with a cell monitoring (Level 0?) system?
    Hmm technically this would be a Level 0, since it isn't a BMS at all, it's just a means of balance charging the pack, but it excibits behavior your would expect of a Level 2 BMS.

A level 2 charger?

Level 0 being a charger without the option to cutoff at HVW
    Level 1 being one that can be shut off either via charger logic or a HVW
    Level 2 being one that balances and regulates voltages accoirding to charge state just like an RC balance charger.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast