Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Drag Scooter Build

Post Thanks / Like

Drag Scooter Build

hello everyone - i was reading this thread , i very new to lithium batteries, so please forgive...

but im building a drag scooter - 48 volt 300 amp 19 hp, i have links below to best describe the components im using...

its basically a bicycle type little drag scooter, custom built by me...

my question is the batteries - this is a link to the batteries i think i need;

http://www.electricmotorsport.com/st...f_gbs_20ah.php

the problem is im not sure about the batteries i need - the lead batteries would be fine but i need to lose some weight on the bike, and lithium bats would be a big improvement...

im not sure how many or what type i need - can anyone help?

motor controller - please dont laugh...
    http://kellycontroller.com/kd4840024...ies-p-226.html

the motor...
    http://www.electricmotorsport.com/st...ors_me0709.php

this is the scooter which im welding on to improve the wheel situation...

3-11-4.jpg3-11-4.jpgwheel 2.jpg
    Last edited by Nuts & Volts; 24 March 2011 at 1205.

Post Thanks / Like
    Moved post to a new thread, hope you dont mind

I dont think those GBS 20Ah cells will give you 300A. I have seen the 60Ah cells do over 350A I think. Personally I have 24 60Ah cells with a Kelly 400A brushed controller and have only ever seen 180A battery side. So you may want to go up to the 500A kelly controller.

I would either recommend the Turnigy Nanotech LiPo, a high C rate Lipo (30C+), or 8Ah Headways (here.. You could build a small 16s2p pack of those Headways and have about 48V and 320A+. I think all three will come in at about the same price.

Maybe if you run 5Ah nanotech you may have 1 extra series battery to factor in some voltage drop, maybe. You could also run 1p with those cells, so your pack contruction and charging would not be as complicated. Weight would be the lowest too.

The amount of cells and thus your pack price, weight, energy, and volume will depends upon your runtime, # of runs before recharging, and the actually distance. So if you answers those questions we can help out some more.
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    I would agree with N&V. 500A kelly. For high power / light wt application, LiPO is the way to go. the cells you linked to are rated for 3C, that means:
    C rating * cell amp-hr rating = rated current.
    3* 20 = 60 Amps = sad racer
    Pulse curret is less than 1 sec usually.

The higher c rating of your battery means that the cell voltage wont sag as much under race load = higher power delivered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Allen! Nice setup!

I recommended Allen to this site. He has been working on this project for a while.

@ Allen: These are the folks that will help you get to your racing goal! (and no BS to speak of!!)

Ed
    EV Ed
    Never let being a responsible adult get in the way of passion and curiosity.
    Motenergy.com
    Ev album 2456, 2458, 2457, 2681, 3456, 3630

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EVcycle View Post
    Welcome Allen! Nice setup!

I recommended Allen to this site. He has been working on this project for a while.

@ Allen: These are the folks that will help you get to your racing goal! (and no BS to speak of!!)

Ed
    Thank You Ed - you have been the greatest help to me... i can really tell that the group here are sincere and very knowledgable about EV racing... this is something ive dream of doing for years, and at 54 years old i want to do this project badly, and i have sacrificed a lot to get this far, going without lunches dinners going out etc. just to have the time and money to build this money pit... but im like a pit bull, i cant let go till its running down the drag strip...

i just need to get a grasp of the lithium batteries, like its been said before " I over think a problem to much "

Anyway the tubing came in yesterday so i can start rebuilding and modifying the hard tail to fit the new wheel and motor, hoping to have it all assembled by mid week, then i have to start collecting batteries, piece at a time, but i need to know what type and how many... the 08AH 38120 P Cell looks promising... Thank You Fellows...
    Last edited by Allen_okc; 25 March 2011 at 0831.

Post Thanks / Like
    Photos! We need photos!!!!
    EV Ed
    Motenergy.com

Post Thanks / Like
    these are photo taken today of the new hard tail construction... with the new michelin tire on the way...

new hard tail 1.jpgnew tire 120-70-14.jpgnew hard tail 2.jpgold hard tail.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I get to cut the old hard tail off today and prep the frame for the new hard tail... everything should fit properly with this new refit...

Post Thanks / Like
    hard tail removed...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool. It looked weird with that other tire on it anyway.
    EV Ed
    Motenergy.com

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast