Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada!

Post Thanks / Like

Greetings from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada!

Well, I've found my way here after years of "wheel spinning" about building an EV and more and more it seemed most logical to start with a two-wheeled project (I've been riding since the day before I turned 16....20 years ago).

I'll be lurking around here for the next few months absorbing as much as I can while I wait for the right donor ride to reveal itself to me. Sure seems like there's a lot to learn yet at the same time it's not all that difficult (unless you ask the gas companies that is). Saw the Brammos and fell in love with them but not so much in love with the price tag.

If there are any Albertan or Canadian elMoto riders out there drop me a line. Getting stuff to Canada might have it's own "kncak" about it.

And anywhere you all can point me as a good starting off point here would be great. This is a HUGE resource you have here!

o_O
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Lots of builds to check out and people ready to help. Battery space is at a premium in ElMotos so consider the belly space in donor candidates. Keep us updated on your progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome. Let us know if you have any questions or concerns. We're (most of us ) here to help!

Rules;
    1.) Be nice
    2.) Pictures or it didnt happen
    3.) El Motos rule - chicks dig 'em (or at least that's what Ted told me)
    4.) Have fun and be safe

That about covers it
    Last edited by Nuts & Volts; 19 May 2011 at 2102.
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

teddillard
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuts & Volts View Post
    Rules;
    1.) Be nice...
    Wait, what? Awwww.

WELCOME! Chicks DO dig 'em, and if you don't have anything nice to say, come sit over here with me...

Post Thanks / Like
    gotta set for me ted?....welcome to my favorite forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    wait a minute, why does Ted get all the chicks? dang...

welcome to the friendliest place on the net macboy - so what kinda of motorcycle project do you have in mind - photos and ideals please...

Post Thanks / Like
    Good day. I've just joined El Moto today... referred by podolefsky. I'm from Stony Plain, so just 1/2 a charge's worth of riding from good ol' Edmonton. Have you found a bike yet? I've been working on this for about 2 yrs, 1 with my current bike. Let me know if need any help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Foz - that's awesome to hear there's a local on here!

I have to admit. I'm squarely on the fence on committing. I was all gung ho when I joined here and ready to order the kits but another forum has me really wondering how bad and why I want to do this. It had quite a few on there saying "Just realize that by the time you're done you could have just bought a production model with better range etc. etc. etc." Have some more research to do I guess. LOTS more.

The tipping point for me would be if there was a way to do this build but using components (motor, controller, BMS) that I could then take to a four wheeled build (car). Is this possible or does it make the bike project not only more expensive but also less efficient? I do have a line developing on a '98 GSXR but fear he might be hoping for too much. I'll know soon enough. I'll post over on your thread and see if we can maybe grab a coffee.

Not to be taken seriously DaveAK's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The comment about buying a production bike is true, up to a point.

1. Cost - unless you live somewhere that offers sizeable tax incentives I think poduction bikes are probably more expensive. This would certainly be the case for me.

2. Speed/range - depends on many factors, most notably what the manufacturer offers. I think my bike is comparable in speed/range to a production bike. If cost is equal then the production bike wins out on warranty and after sales service. Unless of course you decide you want to modify it in any way, maybe to increase performance, and then that advantage disappears as you void the warranty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave (nice to see this forum so active!) I just didn't want to rehash a discussion that's probably had every other day. I understand the reality COULD be so but I also know that (for me anyway) a project of this nature is not about doing it on the cheap - it's about doing it. Period. For me it'd be the challenge, the reward and the learning and educating of others.

I'm gonna log my mileage on our next "Friday night coffee run" and see what I need. Maybe a clear understanding of that will help me decide what to do here. Is there any cross compatibility in Elmoto components and Elcaro projects?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast