Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Kelly AC Induction Motor Controller

Post Thanks / Like

Kelly AC Induction Motor Controller

Not sure how recent this is but Kelly has come out with a new line of controllers, for AC induction motors. 24-120v models.

http://kellycontroller.com/ac-induct...120v-c-85.html
    Last edited by majorpayne; 27 May 2011 at 2018.
    -- Tyler

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    hmm, interesting, I sure hope they've got some motors they intend to sell to pair with those. I know HPGC is one of the only low voltage AC motor makers.... along with green motorsport.

jpanichella
    Quote Originally Posted by frodus View Post
    hmm, interesting, I sure hope they've got some motors they intend to sell to pair with those. I know HPGC is one of the only low voltage AC motor makers.... along with green motorsport.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I've never seen any of the HPGC motors without the matching Curtis controller.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    I have, but it's because the company I bought 3 AC15's from lost the controllers (they walked away or went into another project)....

they don't usually sell just motors unless it's replacement, and even then, they're expensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    they don't usually sell just motors unless it's replacement, and even then, they're expensive.
    Everything I've read about AC induction says they should actually be one of the cheapest to manufacture. No commutator, no brushes, no expensive permanent magnets...and especially if they're air cooled.

Just sayin', seems like the motors themselves should be cheaper. More expensive controllers makes sense.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    thats not what I said .... HPGC Induction motors are expensive....

AC Induction motors are actually pretty cheap, agreed, but the voltages we want, there's very limited manufacturers of them right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know - I wasn't disagreeing with you Travis. I understand why the HPGC ones would be expensive, basically that there isn't much competition or manufacturing scale (right?)

What I was thinking was that if Kelly could make the controller part cheaper, then manufacturers might be able to sell more motors and it would bring the cost down, since, as I understand it, the materials and complexity of building AC induction motors are equal to or less than DC motors of similar size and power.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    thats not what I said .... HPGC Induction motors are expensive....

AC Induction motors are actually pretty cheap, agreed, but the voltages we want, there's very limited manufacturers of them right now.
    Interesting... I'll tried ac motors then.