Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Chang Jiang 750 Sidecar Conversion

Post Thanks / Like

Chang Jiang 750 Sidecar Conversion

I have a motor, some batteries and a controller sitting in my garage that i wanted to use on my nsr125r, but once I got the batteries I realized there was no hope of fitting 24 60ah CALB batteries into that chassis, and the chassis needed so much re-working that it would take too long, cost too much and require too much effort to complete.

So sitting over on the other side of the garage was my Dad's Chang Jiang 750 sidecar, its ignition barely worked, it would slip in third gear and never failed to stall once the stop light turned green. So two weekends of work later I've torn out all of the ugly gas components and am pretty much ready to start mounting up the motor, batteries and controller.

The motor is a ME1003, controller is a kelly 600a and the batteries are 24 60 ah CALB (72V, 4.32 kwh). All of the batteries fit in the rear compartment of the sidecar, so I might add some more batteries or maybe even another motor.

I'll post some pics tomorrow but thats where I'm at now. What do you guys think i should do with the extra space though, more batteries? another motor? both??
    -- Tyler

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like an Awesome project! Can't wait to see the pics.
    as for the side car I guess you could always add more batteries and a motor ($$$$$$$), but maybe consider just having some general storage space / a spot for an on-board charger (unless you've already got one)?
    - Chris [1982 Honda EV650]

"Just throwing science at the wall and seeing what sticks"

Not to be taken seriously DaveAK's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    More batteries would be my vote, assuming you can afford and fit another 24 60Ah CALBs in the frame. This would double your range. Adding batteries to increase voltage would be down to whether your motor and controller could handle it. Although having said all that the extra weight of those batteries on a frame that probably already weighs a fair bit with a side car would have to be taken in to consideration.

An onboard charger would definitely be a good addition as Chris suggests.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm actually thinking about using the space for adding a transmission, maybe even the original CJ 750 one, then I can stick with the shaft drive and don't have to rebuild the back to fit a chain drive. And I would still probably be able to fit an onboard charger as well.

Any ideas on how to mount the motor to that transmission if i did decide to that?

Here are some pics.
    IMG_2193.jpgIMG_2189.jpgIMG_2182.jpgIMG_2185.jpgIMG_2181.jpg
    -- Tyler

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool project. I would stuff in all the batteries it could hold!

I would do the chain drive unless you know a machinist.
    EV Ed
    Never let being a responsible adult get in the way of passion and curiosity.
    Juiced Drag Racing
    Motenergy.com
    Ev album 2456, 2458, 2457, 2681, 3456, 3630

Not to be taken seriously DaveAK's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those 6 batteries on top should really be turned on edge. And do you really want to use a transmission that seems to have problems? For ideas on mating a motor to that transmission I'd check out somewhere like www.diyelectriccar.com

nicklogan
    Don't know if you're still going forward with this but I had the same thought for a Dnepr/Ural sidecar and after poking around a bit found that it's already been done successfully twice:
    http://www.evalbum.com/3944 - He did an amazing job fitting a Lynch motor to BMW bike clutch to the Dnepr transmission.

This project ona Ural may have stalled ; no entries in a while:
    http://itya.blogspot.com/search?upda...&max-results=4

Shawn Lawless of Lawless Industries and EV racing fame also had an electric Ural sidecar rig but I couldn't find a link - too bad, it was a beauty with chromed motor and blue spark-flame paint job.

I want to do this also but it looks like it's impossible to fit an AC-50 with the stock transmission without cutting the front frame tubes. If I remember right, Lawless used dual Lynch motors.

Edit :

Found the Lawless bike:

http://www.paradefloats.com/vehicles.html
    Last edited by nicklogan; 21 February 2012 at 1841.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is my dream project from several years ago, just haven't got on to it. How is the balance with all the batteries in the trunk?
    Looking forward to seeing more of this.

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually got my motor with the intention of making a sidecar hybrid add on for any motorcycle. I was basically thinking a self propelled electric sidecar that could mount to an ICE bike for around town stealth cruising, then fire up the ICE for the road. Obviously never went ahead but when I end up with extra bikes, sidecars and electrical components I'll finish it up. Check it out in 2041

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm new to EV conversion, but I've always wanted to do one. I ride a Ural 650 tourist (one wheel drive.) I was thinking of making a battery box under the sidecar frame that would distribute the weight more evenly and provide a good center of balance for the bike. This would leave more room for the motor and the controller/charging unit could be incorporated into the tank. The nice thing about the older Urals is that they are relatively cheap, shaft driven, and the sidecar frames are fairly beefy.

11. Likes Richard230 liked this post