Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: An Electric Moto Film.

Post Thanks / Like
    hey billmi. There are a few written driving scenes around town, 'de-bugging' the bike if you will. As the lead character builds it. Though your right,if we rewrote that in a different way then it all i'd need is a base bike no title. I've had a few offers for those. I'd then feel a little more comfortable getting a salvadge title. In the end the benifits gained are saving $300-500 (Depending on the bike) and not worrying about registering + insuring anything. Its something to consider.

Anyone have any luck with Salvadge titles? I had a guy pushing it like it was the best part of the parts '92 Ninja he was pushing.

Very good point Sokon. I'm still thinking about Hub motors. They seem like a very easy fit. Pretty much 'bolt on'(or Volt on should i say) and then assembling the controller and batteries. The fact the I can use it on any bike is the best part. Ive been looking at some 90's CBRs and Kaw. Katana's. They go for a good price, and really have a close to MotoGP style look. I may have to swap out some on the rear seat section and make the fairings a bit more aggresive, but they're part way there. Unfortunately a finished electric one of those may cost as much as the base BMW bike, short of some miricle title-less bike. or something along those lines.
    What kind of bike do you have sokon?

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Salvage title is ok, but make 100% sure it's got a title and it is in Your hands and signed to you when you buy it. I learned the hard way. Luckily it's easy to get another titled frame.

I'd just get one that hasn't been wrecked. Cheaper in the long-run.
    Travis

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior.Pete View Post
    hey billmi. There are a few written driving scenes around town, 'de-bugging' the bike if you will. As the lead character builds it. Though your right,if we rewrote that in a different way then it all i'd need is a base bike no title.
    I wasn't thinking so much with regard to the story being limited to the track, but that typically prop vehicles aren't registered, so they don't need titles because shooting permits negate the need for registration/licensing, street legal compliance, etc. It's just like how you'll often see a film shot in California, with a rider not wearing a helmet - despite the fact that California is a helmet law state. Cops won't shut down production to issue a ticket due to the shoot permit. Not to mention, a race bike won't have lighting to be legal on the street anyhow.

Whether your buy with or without title, it's a good idea to call your local PD and have them run the VIN, to make sure there are no warrants out related to the bike, that it's not reported stolen.

Now if you're planning to have an electric motorcycle to ride when the film is over, or want to sell it to recoup some of the production costs, then for sure, make sure you've got a title that can be used for registration in your state (in some states registering a vehicle with a salvage title is much harder than in others).
    Last edited by billmi; 28 October 2011 at 1254.
    Sensei - Electric Ninja 250

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats true, the permits do give you carte blanche in a lot of ways. I really try to minimize the amount of permits necessary, and in the past have really lucked out with getting access to shooting on private roads, and residences. This time I think its going to be a 50/50 mix of permit/non-permit. It would be beneficial to have it registered and insured I Think. That is a great point though Bill.

Keeping the bike after the fact would be nice but not necessary.

Got offered another bike, this one a 83 KZ700, full title. Extremely cheap so in the case of a rental it would be a great prop bike to demonstrate the states of the build. Breaking down to frame, 1/2 way rebuilding.

Cant wait to show you guys the first footage. Nothing shot yet, but we've been spending months assembling this camera kit and doing our test shoots. We've got a wicked Canon 7d / 5d set up, Using late 60's Nikon Lenses. And a few trick lenses we've originated. We're working hard to get this thing solid in every department.

btw what kind of electromagnetic radiation comes off of these bikes? Anyone fry their cellphones or discharge their credit cards?

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow jazclrint On Twitter
    The only problem I have heard of is the MotoCzysz bike would generate enough interference to mess with the timing transponders at the track. But that is a 200hp motor with a big pack.

Really interesting question though.

teddillard
    Yeah... the start of the latest lynch mob for EVs angle.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/27/au...es&oref=slogin

I'm wondering if the transponders are responding to the EMF (electromagnetic field) or the RF (radio frequency), or is RF created by EMF, or should I just shaddap about stuff I know nothing about?

Post Thanks / Like
    Great article. Thats wild about the MotoCzysz bike! haha, rather incredible.

Interesting thing it made me think of is my boss at work, He's sensitive to EMF. We found that out when we had to go the fix breakers in the circuit breaker room on my floor. Its a small closet that I've walked by a million times but we opened it to reveal big breakers on each wall. For whatever reason it generates a ton of EMF. This guy said if he spends anytime at all in there he'll be sick the rest of the week. Light headed, nausea. I was in there for a few minutes taking care of the problem, and afterwords sure I felt strange but it was more of a searching to see if I felt what he felt. I wish I had been in there blind the first time to see if I had felt strange before knowing about the issue.

anyway Sensitivity to EMF maybe a problem for some in the long run. They talk about some sheilding options, I wonder how effective or how much of a burden they are on the vehicle. 10,000lb lead sheild on a 100lb bike haha.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow jazclrint On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by teddillard View Post
    I'm wondering if the transponders are responding to the EMF (electromagnetic field) or the RF (radio frequency), or is RF created by EMF, or should I just shaddap about stuff I know nothing about?
    Well, if you'll grant me the same latitude; maybe its that the EMF is inducting voltage into the circuits of the transponder and not screwing up the RF signal itself, but scrambling the data or code it is trying to send into something that the receiver doesn't understand, maybe? Hopefully an EE will speak up and set us straight.

What I remember is that at Miller one lap didn't record for the MotoCzysz bike. I over heard Micheal Czysz talking (to I believe Shane Turpin) about it because people were claiming he ran a few seconds faster that one lap (which I believe was later proved false). Czysz told Shane that sometimes the bike would interfere with the transponders. I believe this happened to him at the Isle of Mann, but I'd have to re-watch the dvds to confirm.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123