Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  27
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Transmissions. yeah.

Post Thanks / Like
    So this thread is now into 20 pages, and has had over 30k views. I don't know how you could say anyone who's made it this far has preconceptions. Sorry.

Funny, I was just reading a friend's ride review of a Zero, after owning an Empulse (and having it totally die on him). He said if he'd ridden it before buying the Brammo, he probably wouldn't have bought the Brammo. One of the things he cited as a better thing was "no transmission". I think the jury is in on this one. Game over, the results are in.

As far as potential solutions on a particular project? I still have yet to see any transmission product that's even available, so I don't really understand how that could be a potential solution.
    Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles
    www.powerinflux.com

2. Likes Richard230 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ted, I've got a Honda CTX700 with DCT. There is no clutch lever (though dual clutches) and no foot shift lever. I LIKE the automatic and I expect my e-project will be direct drive.

Are you really saying there is no possible case where an e-moto might benefit from a transmission? I'm fine with "with modern technology there may rarely be a benefit" but I'm generally pretty cautious about making absolute statements. For example, a telescopic fork is a horrible thing, it is a long lever that puts extra loads into the frames, it wants to bend and bind up instead of sliding, it requires sophisticated machinery to make one and it should never be used on a motorcycle. That's a perfectly sensible and defendable statement about teleforks, but it ignores the cases where they work fine.

The world is full of transmissions, all you have to do is look around you. If you want a CVT there's decades of them that have been installed on scooters and snomobiles. There's no shortage of transmissions around. But just as people have seemed to feel a need to build a electric bike because there wasn't one like they wanted, you may need to do a bit of work to come up with the transmission that you (may) want. They aren't rocket science.

BTW, I'm looking forward to the arrival of your book tomorrow.

cheers,
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    good grief.
    www.powerinflux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll answer that, and then I swear on my mother's grave I'm not rising to any bait on this thread ever again as long as I live.

NO. WHAT I'M SAYING is what I SAID. If you've read this thread and understand it, you couldn't hold preconceptions. Unless you just didn't want to learn anything.

Transmissions have been tried, and every instance I've seen they've proven to be no better - no faster, no more efficient, no quicker, and ultimately not worth the trouble. Back when this thread started, this wasn't the case. CVTs have been tried, and none of them have held up to the stress of an electric drive on a motorcycle. Point me to one transmission that I could bolt into a bike with an electric drivetrain that makes sense. Just one. I've looked for one for a decade or more now. The world is full of transmissions? Great, get one, put it in your bike, and show me it's worth the overhead.

THAT is what I'm saying. If I'm coming off as testy, just go back a few pages and you'll see we had this exact same conversation with a new member who hadn't read the thread, and thought dismissing trannys was foolish. And mind you, that was opinion, based on no experience.

I hope you enjoy the book.
    Last edited by Ted Dillard; 10 July 2018 at 1208.
    www.powerinflux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    MIKE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND RIGHTEOUS COULD YOU PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD
    www.powerinflux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by EVcycle; 10 July 2018 at 1257.
    EV Ed
    Never let being a responsible adult get in the way of passion and curiosity.
    Juiced Drag Racing
    Motenergy.com
    Ev album 2456, 2458, 2457, 2681, 3456, 3630

8. Likes frodus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ted, it seems like I hit a hot button. I did read through the thread, I always do before commenting.

If a transmission is needed (which may or may not be the case) the world has a pretty good supply of machinists, weldors, fabricators, mechanical engineers and and awful lot of gears and shafts. If there's no turnkey transmission product labeled "for electric motorcycle use" one could be put together if someone has a need for one and the energy/budget to start the project and follow through on it. I've got some familiarity with machine tools and building things and I've got friends who've designed and built ICE from scratch, so an e-motorcycle transmission looks like a pretty straight forward project to me. I could build one, but only if it is needed for my goals.

My project will be direct drive because with the components I'm going to use I don't see a transmission being needed for the type of use the vehicle will see. A different set of components and goals might convince me that a transmission of one type or another would be a good plan. I'll use one, or not, as seems most appropriate. Everyone else is free to make their own decisions about their own projects and I hope those decisions give them a vehicle that satisfies their goals for the project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hot button? Yah think?

Please see this: http://elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=4742
    www.powerinflux.com

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021