Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Fed Ex Introduces First All Electric Trucks

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Fed Ex Introduces First All Electric Trucks

I thought i would bring this to the table - a bit of good news...

CHICAGO, March 29, 2010 – FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) today announced the expansion of its alternative-energy vehicle fleet with the first all-electric FedEx parcel delivery trucks in the United States. Four purpose-built electric trucks...

http://news.van.fedex.com/node/16470
    The Greatest thing about a EV, is the Song of the Terrain...

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool to see this happening, but do you realize this article is two years old ?

I was driving through downtown Washington, DC a few months ago and I saw a truck just like this all decked out in the Coca Cola logo/colors. I was tempted to follow it and try to speak with the driver, but I was on my way someplace and did not have time.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Both sets of electric vehicles are designed with a range that allows many FedEx Express couriers to make a full eight-hour shift of deliveries before their vehicles need recharging."

Nice!
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow jazclrint On Twitter
    I don't think that is a Smith, but if you think that is cool, check this out: http://smithelectric.com/

And electric buses that recharge their 80kWh pack in 10 minutes: http://www.proterra.com/

And then an electric/hydrogen hybrid big rig. There are a few videos of this one: http://www.visionmotorcorp.com/

The Vison is the vehicle that made me think there was at least a place for Hydrogen fuel cell tech. By using a smaller fuel cell stack with a battery pack you create a non-gas version of the Volt. You run on batteries until you run low, and then the fuel cell kicks on and gets you the rest of the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    yep i know the article is two years old - but i saw them advertise their trucks last night on their commercial - it was the only article i could find in a quick search while at work...

Post Thanks / Like
    the whole thing makes me feel like with production vehicles popping up all over, that maybe better equipment and lower prices may happen soon... least i hope it does...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yay. This is cool. I was getting ready for a (bicycle) ride at a supermarket parking lot a couple of weeks back when this rolled up:

EVs: 2007 Zapino Scooter, Honda VF500 Conversion (electriceptor.wordpress.com), Red Nissan LEAF SL (Arrived!)

8. Likes Richard230 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    thats awesome, i hope they keep it up - commercial EV's could help speed innovations along...

i would love to see the motors they are using...

Post Thanks / Like
    Fleet vehicles are a great application for EV's. Sounds like Smith (love the name) is dominating the the EV delivery truck market:

http://smithelectric.com/customer-stories/fritolay/

Post Thanks / Like
    I talked briefly with the driver. He said the range is supposed to be 100 miles, and that his route is 65 miles. I also saw it on the freeway one time, so it's not like it's all surface streets.
    EVs: 2007 Zapino Scooter, Honda VF500 Conversion (electriceptor.wordpress.com), Red Nissan LEAF SL (Arrived!)