Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  22
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 82 KZ550 - the KZE

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Skahle. A Kawi ZG1200 also has a 130/90R16 front, and the same axle diameter as the KZ. It's a little wider, but might fit.

Are those other front ends a direct swap up to the triples? I thought I looked up the Vulcan and it was a different bearing ID, but I could be wrong.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Just grabbed a ZG1200 front wheel, rotors, axle, tire + caliper set for $125 shipped.

This is about the closes match I've found. It's a smidge wider at the axle, but same diameter so I should be able to just make new spacers (I'm dropping the stock speedo). Calipers also sit on separate mounts, so I should be able to machine new ones if they don't line up.

$(KGrHqZ,!pIE8V(tFEVqBPFy1FQ6nQ~~60_12.JPG
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    How did you find the axle width of that ZG1200 front wheel? I was looking for that on the Vulcan last night. Shame to lose that nice wpeedo but it will look unbalanced (and old) once the tach goes away. I was thinking of stuffing something in the tach case for now, probably an old E-meter. Do you have a plan for instrumentation yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    For width, I Googled "ZG1200 front axle" and looked at images. Someone had posted images on e-bay with a tape measure next to the axle.

I found this list of sizes including axle diameters here...no widths, but lots of other useful data.

http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/me...diameters.html

I'll probably throw a simple and compact speedo on there. I like the Trailtech Vapor on my GSX-E. Maybe something even more compact. I know digital isn't exactly retro, but I kind of like the modern/retro mix.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an ICE kz650 same year slammed and bobbed. IMO looks a little off with stock swingarm, so i lengthened mine and like the result. i actually went a little overboard with 4 inches, but somewhere in between would look better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool. I think I'm swinging a little more cafe than bobber...but we'll see what happens once I spend some good time on the sittin stool. Having the same 130/90r16 tire front and rear should balance it out some.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the bike stripped down to the engine. One more step and no more dinosaur fuel for this KZ.

- Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Noah,

I saw some great documentation of your old build (2/2011) as well as a your AC conversion (11/2011) and I have a suggestion. Fuse the input of the DCC converter. It looks like it will take the wrath of the pack if it fails. Move the 400A fuse in front of the contactor for the same reason.

Stripped chassis looks good! I can see that tail getting cut off and a whole new front end going on!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Skahle,

Is that the wiring diagram in post 96? That's way out of date - I'm using a Vicor isolated DC/DC now, and it is fused on both ends. I put the new diagram here.

On the main fuse, it's behind the contactor mostly because the Curtis has a nice place set up for it right on the controller. I'm not too concerned with which side it's on, since it's a straight line through the contactor and fuse with nothing else in between. The LEV200 can handle 2000 A, so the fuse will blow and stop current flow long before the contactor is hurt (I think).

Yeah...the tail is definitely getting the angle grinder.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    and...done...

- Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast