Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Throttle adjustments

Post Thanks / Like

Throttle adjustments

Now that I have logged a few hundred miles on my 72 volt, Etek RT motor with an Altrax 7245 controller, I have a tuning question for some of our seasoned professionals.

When I hit city speeds (around 30 - 40 mph) I find it is difficult to hold a steady throttle (Magura) and am constantly trying to maintain a steady speed. I'm twitching on and off the throttle constantly.

Also when I hit higher speeds (over 40 mph) the bike has a slight shudder (which may have nothing to do with the electrics), along the difficulty holding a steady speed. It just feels like it has something to do with power train.

Any ideas whether I can adjust this out on the Alltrax settings?

Input from others with similar setups is greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    My 2008 60 V Etek-RT with the Altrax controller did the same thing - as does my current 2009 72 V sepex D&D motor powered with a Sevcon controller. If anyone has a solution to this spastic throttle response let me know. It is at its worse at low throttle opening and between 20 and 40 mph. At higher speeds and throttle openings there is some throttle surging but it is relatively minor and is not too objectionable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Turn down the throttle response on the controller.
    First try the "Throttle down rate" and then the "throttle up rate" (one at a time and test) until you get a comfortable response.

The slight shudder could be from a loose chain.

EV Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Good points Ed. My throttle up setting is set to max and throttle down is around mid-point if I remember correctly, but I was suspicious of the throttle settings already so I'll try those first.

I keep an eye on my chain tension and have around 1 - 1 1/2 inches play now. This is something I have been suspicious of and I worry that the position of my motor sprocket is not in the same position as the ICE engine sprocket, horizontally that is. Yes I have been thinking chain all along. I'll have to think of a way to check it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great, please keep us posted!

Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    I set both my throttle up and throttle down values to 5 to get some kind of base line and just went for an evening ride.
    It is much softer and more controllable now so that must be it thanks ED. I'll try some further settings this week.

I still have a mild shudder up around 40 - 50 mph, but it is only when I'm on the throttle. When I let off the throttle it stops, so it might also be in the controller settings.

Someone needs to write a tuner's handbook for electric motos... Ed???

Post Thanks / Like
    Tuners Hand book...mmmmm

To many different combinations.

Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Naw, just make a bigger book.

Seriously, the amount of activity around emotos is only going to get bigger every year. I think the momentum is there now.

Post Thanks / Like
    According to the GPR-S owner's manual, the correct chain tension should be 1/2 inch. Setting the chain to this amount of sag will reduce the apparent slop in the drive-line - although it did nothing for my spastic throttle. Unfortunately, adjusting my Sevcon controller requires specialized and expensive equipment - to say nothing of a certain level of knowledge and understanding of this device that I do not possess.