Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1985 Vespa PX-150 Conversion

Junior Member Headway-Headquarters's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

1985 Vespa PX-150 Conversion

Hey all!

Been lurking around here on the forums for quite awhile now, the whole 'long time listener first time caller' thing! I have to say thank-you to the many who have provided me some great knowledge and understanding with their postings, so again I say, THANK-YOU!

Been working on my first street legal EV conversion for about 6 months now (when I have the time) which will be for putt-sing around town, an '85 Vespa PX150 scooter. Was actually inspired by Soyachips project, and have always wanted a Vespa to goof-off with but hated the whole 2-stroke sound, smoke and all the mess of the oil and mix. Anyways, I picked it up last year off of Craig's List and here I go with posting what I have been doing with it!

I chose to go with a hub motor since it didn't seem like anyone had tried that yet (that I could find anyway), using the old gas and oil reservoirs under the seat for the components ie, Kelly controller, contactor, etc. and under the side cowls on both sides to carry the battery pack to help with balancing out the scooter. I determined I can fit a 72V (76.8V) 30Ah battery pack using this layout, but it has caused a few head scratching sessions!

Probably didn't get the best of components, but for my needs and budget, hopefully they will work out for the time being until I need to change them out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Having the initial plan and layout of how I thought I could easily just take stuff apart and put it back together and 'presto change-o an EV Vespa', I started stripping the scooter down.
    021 More Battery Space.jpg

Went even farther and started sanding out the rust and decided to just redo the whole thing!
    026 Stripped Now a Little Body Work.jpg

Did a little body work and went back to my surfing roots and decided to resin and fiberglass patch the old choke and fuel shut-off and figured it would be a good place for the emergency shut-off button.
    028 No More Fuel Shut off, Choke or Foot Brake.jpg

Next was to fab a new swing arm for the hub motor and hoped that all would work out with the rear shock (Head-scratcher #1!) but thankfully my measurements were good to go!
    032 - Shock location is perfect.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    nice work on the swing arm...looks like vespa pulled it from stock and shipped it to you!
    2003 Ninja 250EX, Agni #95R, 6:1 Gearing, 11 Leaf Modules.
    Alltrax SPM72400, 400 amp Controller, all LED lighting
    2014 CRF450X Supermoto
    http://www.evalbum.com/1955
    http://www.evalbum.com/3337

Post Thanks / Like
    While the scooter was at the paint shop, I started working at changing out the the front drum brakes to disc brakes
    030 Ready for Stripping and Re-Finish.jpg

This was another head-scratcher for me since I blindly just purchased the front disc brake thinking it would work for the scooter since it was 'listed to work' but not knowing that my suspension link was 20mm dia and the brake system I purchased was for a 16mm dia suspension link.....DOH! But got it sorted out and moved on!

Refinished the steering column, front suspension link, etc. and installed the disc brakes and front shock. (When funds permit, will change out to hydraulic front brake....maybe!)
    057 Front Suspension and Brakes Complete.jpg

Purchased a nice new 'hi-tech' speedo with a tach.....ooooooo....ahhhhhh (am wanting to work at changing it over to an ammeter) just to have a little more modern look for the gauges.
    a New Tach and Speedo.jpg

Got all the parts back from the paint shop.
    036 Painted and Ready.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    That thing looks pretty awesome!! Nice work. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never gotten the whole scooter thing, but that is some nice fab work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DRZ400 View Post
    nice work on the swing arm...looks like vespa pulled it from stock and shipped it to you!
    Thanks all, wish I could take credit for those welds, but I can't! Thankfully I met some folks who are fabricators that do awesome work!

Got the tires mounted to the hub motor, went with black paint and thought I gotta go with a classic, the white-wall!
    033 Wheel Mounted with Disc Brake.jpg

The speedo was designed more for the smaller framed Vespa scooters....
    034 Speedo too Small.jpg

So worked with my neighbor who built a homemade CNC machine and made an aluminum escutcheon to help with the problem.
    035 Aluminum Spacer Ring is a Fit.jpg

Next head-scratcher was to change out the handle bars from the Vespa standard of 24.5mm dia to a more universal 7/8" or 22mm dia handle bars for the throttle and left grip. The head piece was cast for the larger size.....
    061 Headpiece Handle Bars.jpg

....so needed to cut-off what was need to work with the head piece then attach some 7/8" chromoly for the remainder of the handle bars
    062 Handle Bars.jpg
    Last edited by Headway-Headquarters; 09 February 2012 at 1754. Reason: added pics

Post Thanks / Like
    The new handle bars are in place
    065 New Handle Bars.jpg

Tapped a set-screw to keep the handle bars from twisting in the head piece
    067 Tapped a set screw to hold in place.jpg

The 78" handle bars were sleeved with the 24.5mm handle bars before they were welded together
    068 Welded Chromoly to Existing Handle Bars.jpg

Test mounting the components and using a glove box light switch button to control the LED's so I have some light when I need to check under the hood...errrr I mean seat!
    048 Testing LED Placement.jpg

Not much room for a DCDC converter and not much room for an auxiliary 12V battery, but found a nice spot under the rear part of the seat.
    052 DC Converter Mounted in Place.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Changing out as many lights as possible to LED's
    038 Change out to LED.jpg

Got the front fender and and suspension put back on
    059 Steering Column Installed.jpg

Checking the buss bars and double/triple checking battery sizes
    063 Left Half of Battery.jpg

That is about where I am at for now!

Currently working on the new wire harness since the original was just an oily mess and just starting to put things back together!

10. Likes ashoxy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Great looking work so so far! What kind of batteries did ya select?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast