Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  3
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Infineon Race May 2012 Who is attending.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Electric Cowboy on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by liveforphysics View Post
    "predetermined-outcomeing"
    lmao

teddillard
    Quote Originally Posted by liveforphysics View Post
    He should have come then.

That's the thing about racing, if you don't make the effort to do it, you're not going to win anything. If you don't get proper testing in before the race, it's also going to be really hard to win. I watched Thad's bike DNF from a smoked motor at Laguna Seca last year. There are no guarantee's of anything in racing, otherwise it would be called "predetermined-outcomeing" instead of racing, and you could do it from the comfort of your home computer keyboard rather than the track. ;-)
    Not sure what you're intending from this comment, but I've got to stand up for these guys. They hit more NA races than any other team. They were the ones who made history by racing, and winning against a gas bike field, before Chip Yates. They're totally privately backed, and basically got to the end of the line, financially. For what they started with, they're the single team that gets my highest respect - they're true "privateers" - the closest thing to me and my buddies getting together and fielding a bike against all odds. No factory, no backing, no plans to produce some exotic drivetrain. Houses, families and day-jobs.

The fact that they had to call it quits was a bitter pill for all of them, Thad, as well as Brian and the rest of the team, to swallow... and they, in my humble opinion, got used pretty poorly by the TTXGP after all was said and done. It is pretty clear TTXGP is more interested in the big-time factory backed teams than the little guy trying to bootstrap a team... again, my opinion.

I'm very sad to see them missing from the field. My congratulations to Brian and the team, and they earned their place in history. Respect where due.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a video of one of the Lightning bikes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvaJ4MXPqP0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teddillard View Post
    Not sure what you're intending from this comment, but I've got to stand up for these guys. They hit more NA races than any other team. They were the ones who made history by racing, and winning against a gas bike field, before Chip Yates. They're totally privately backed, and basically got to the end of the line, financially. For what they started with, they're the single team that gets my highest respect - they're true "privateers" - the closest thing to me and my buddies getting together and fielding a bike against all odds. No factory, no backing, no plans to produce some exotic drivetrain. Houses, families and day-jobs.

The fact that they had to call it quits was a bitter pill for all of them, Thad, as well as Brian and the rest of the team, to swallow... and they, in my humble opinion, got used pretty poorly by the TTXGP after all was said and done. It is pretty clear TTXGP is more interested in the big-time factory backed teams than the little guy trying to bootstrap a team... again, my opinion.

I'm very sad to see them missing from the field. My congratulations to Brian and the team, and they earned their place in history. Respect where due.

I love the guys, and I love everyone making any electric racing stuff (or commuting stuff).

I just didn't like the statement that if they had shown up, they would have won. That's just not how racing works. All anyone can do is show up as best prepared as they can get, and try to do the best they can. I've lost races I qualified #1 in because of $0.05 sensors failing randomly, hitting an oily patch nobody noticed, all manor of random mechanical failures, or even things that aren't your own fault, like other vehicles crashing into you from behind etc.

I love Thad's racing and Eli's racing and the Aussie guy's doing Voltron and Ripperton, and everyone else racing. Just trying to say you don't automatically get a win if you show up with something fast, it has to finish as well. As a guy who has DNF'd about 50% of all my personal racing efforts, I can say this with more certainty that most folks. :-)

teddillard
    ...ah, got it. Thanks for clarifying.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

It is pretty clear TTXGP is more interested in the big-time factory backed teams than the little guy trying to bootstrap a team... again, my opinion.
    Respect where due.
    I havent been around the block too many times, but I am a little guy, a very enthusiastic little guy, and I have felt a nice warm welcome to the TTXGP from Rupal and Azhar along with the officials, and ALL the race teams involved.

I am sure every organization prefers to have people who can afford to pay them and has to cater to people who can afford to pay and keep the organization going, but I doubt any organization would ignore good marketing, and aggressive self motivation to support the cause. Pinning failure squarely on any organization 'in my opinion' is a mistake. Like you said, respect where due, without TTXGP we would not be posting here, they started it all. I have heard a lot of people badmouthing them lately, but they still go to the races, and ride the bikes that wouldn't be around without them. Maybe I'm just too green to be jaded, but just my 2 cents.

teddillard
    That's great, and I wish you the best. Not sure what you mean by "pinning failure", but whatever. I just know Brian, have had several conversations with him during the race seasons and after his decision to pass on this year, and I have nothing but respect for the guy and what they were able to do.

If I interpret what you've said correctly, yes, I'd think they'd embrace a team that sacrificed a huge amount of time and money over two seasons - actually, with no other team equaling that effort - for the marketing caché alone... thus my dismay.

And for the record, they did not "start it all", in spite of what I feel is ill-advised marketing posturing on their part.
    Last edited by teddillard; 15 May 2012 at 1723.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Lightbulb

Not sure what you mean by "pinning failure", but whatever.
    I felt like you were saying that the reason those guys couldn't race was basically the fault of the TTXGP, that's all.

And I guess I should clarify that people like Betti Luciano started it all, but I guess I consider TTXGP to be the first because it got so much more international attention and attendance, in my opinion, than the FIA did way back in the day when it first started to push the envelope. I really don't know all that much about the early early days of the electric bikes, If I spoke Italian, I'm sure I could learn more. I'm all for learning.

I wish there was a school for all of this like there is for gas bikes.

teddillard
    That's not what I was saying... but enough said.

Ditto on the Italian, but here's a bunch of work I've done on the Betti story: http://evmc2.wordpress.com/?s=betti

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345