Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Th!nk City

Post Thanks / Like

Th!nk City

I purchased a 2011 Th!nk City electric car about a week and a half ago. I know it's not a motorcycle, but thought everyone might be interested. For those that do not know, Th!nk was building these cars in Elkhart, IN, but they filed for bankruptcy last summer. The remaining cars are available for essentially half price. They are about $15k after the federal tax credit. Additional credits may be available depending on your state. It's a two seater with a decent amount of cargo space, about two feet longer than the Smart Car. They advertise a 100 mile range, but I'd say 80 is closer to reality. I'm having a ball driving this car, and have only been in my gas car once since I bought it.

There is a dealer in California who was selling them, and one in Chicago. I bought mine from Eurostar Automotive in Maryland.

Here is a link to the manuals on the Th!nk site.

SANY1859_1.jpgSANY1885_1.jpgSANY1904_1.jpgcharging at fitzgerald 1.jpg
    Last edited by electriKAT; 02 May 2012 at 0954. Reason: added link to manuals

2. Likes CloudyBright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Super cool electriKAT.

How's the performance?
    What kind of batteries does it have?
    More Pics!

Post Thanks / Like
    I th!nk it uses enerdel pouch cells. Good cells.

Great deal too! Now you've got me thinking about getting one for myself. :-) Do you happen to know the system voltage by chance? It seems tech info is kinda rare on this car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not much more than a Zero S/DS ZF9 I'm curious about the performance, too. And will it accept 480V DC charging?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! That's what a Smart car would be if it wasn't stupid.

If I had $15k I'd buy one right now. I'm jealous.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    That is super cool! I would love to see battery and motor pics!

Post Thanks / Like
    electriKAT,

I would buy one tomorrow, if I knew where to get it serviced. What do you do if a cell dies? Where do you get brake pads?

Warren

Post Thanks / Like
    actually its not a bad looking car either - why did they go bankrupt?
    The Greatest thing about a EV, is the Song of the Terrain...

Post Thanks / Like
    Alan,

It is a very sensible car, now selling at a price you could sell tons at. Unfortunately, without support, you could have a lawn ornament in minutes after purchase. I would love to get one, if there was any way to get parts, or service. ElectriKat, any information on support you have would be very helpful.

Warren

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all of the great comments. I really wasn't all that jazzed by this car the first time I saw it. But it really grew on me after I saw it. And at this price, I could not pass it up.

ZoomSmith

> How's the performance?
    > What kind of batteries does it have?

The performance is perfectly adequate for what it is. It's surprisingly peppy up to 40 mph. Above 50 mph it really tapers off. But it will reach 70 mph eventually. At 60+ you can almost watch the SOC meter drop. liveforphysics is correct, enerdel.

liveforphysics

> I th!nk it uses enerdel pouch cells. Good cells.
    > Great deal too! Now you've got me thinking about getting one for myself. :-)
    > Do you happen to know the system voltage by chance?

This car operates at 400V. I do not know if they are pouch cells. The battery manual states that they are 70ah cells, but I do not know if that is a single string, or parallel subpacks. If you multiply 400V * 70ah, you get 28kwhr. They advertise 24kwhr, so I think it's 24 useable.

CliC

> I'm curious about the performance, too. And will it accept 480V DC charging?

See comments on performance above. It will not accept L3 charging. It will handle 12A at 110V (L1) or 220V (L2).

skyclark

> That is super cool! I would love to see battery and motor pics!

The battery is under the seats. The motor is between the front wheels. So I do not have any pics of either. But I attached a diagram from the manual that shows where everything is.

warren

> I would buy one tomorrow, if I knew where to get it serviced.
    > What do you do if a cell dies? Where do you get brake pads?

My biggest hangup about the car was service. The dealer told me that Th!nk is still in business and they will honor the warranty. I wasn't convinced. He put me in touch with a rep from Th!nk who confirmed that Th!nk of North America has spare parts (including batteries) and has every intention of honoring the warranty. My dealer in Maryland is the closest place for me to get service. There is a garage in Maryland with a trained technician also. And the dealers I mentioned in the first post can service them as well. But I realize this is not a Honda Civic and there is some risk. BTW, the dealer in Maryland will ship these.

I found a parts list on a Norwegian website (via google translate) that indicates many of the parts are borrowed from Ford (previous owner) and Peugeot. I believe the brake pads are Peugeot.

Allen_okc

> actually its not a bad looking car either - why did they go bankrupt?

The original list price was over $36k. Someone didn't "think" it through. But at this price, they make a lot more sense.

Th!nk battery diagram.jpg

12. Likes Richard230 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast