Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SuperScoot!

teddillard

SuperScoot!

OK, time to go legit with this caper. I just picked this up:

It's got a cooked brushless hub motor, and though I've taken them apart in the past, it's a frustrating exercise in futility. Even after replacing the controller and Hall sensors, my last project never worked. I've got two options, as I see it. Replace the hub motor (with a BIGGER one) or bolt in one of the ETEK motors I happen to have laying around. Which, right now, is what I'm leaning towards doing. Replacement wheels are up on the eBay for less than $50, and the idea of having a 10kw motor in there instead of some 800W hub just makes me start giggling.

I've got a little pile of Headways that will replace the lead...

Let the Madness Begin!

2. Likes Hugues liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Athlon on Linkedin
    As motor I see much better an hub motor like the Enertrak ( 10Kw cont -30Kw peak) so you don't have to mess with chain or belt

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck Ted. I like that scooter. It should keep you busy for a while.

BMW seems to think scooters, including electric versions, are a wave of the future according to this speculative article: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/27/b...oter-business/

teddillard
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlon View Post
    As motor I see much better an hub motor like the Enertrak ( 10Kw cont -30Kw peak) so you don't have to mess with chain or belt
    Well, the Enertrak is pretty big, pretty heavy, and I'm not sure Mark can mount them on a 10" wheel. Plus, they're over $1k. (My ETEK is sitting on a shelf, looking at me forlornly, wanting a purpose in life. AKA no cost.) Any of the smaller hub motors top out at maybe 1.5kw. Plus I like the option to play with gearing, which you can't do with a hub.

So... uh, yeah. Complete wheel assemblies from Monster Scooter for around $50? SOLD!

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/rearwheels.html

With disk brake and sprocket: http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/cu12x3rewhas.html

Last edited by teddillard; 28 August 2012 at 0242.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a guy on E-S that is selling a 2 speed hubmotor for a 10" wheel. He runs it over 60 MPH on hills in Costa Rica, and, I have one sitting in customs right now, in CR. They are pretty small for what they are. Nice big axle, also, and drum brake.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like this retro style a lot for scooters, the new one from BMW looks too "electric", futuristic wannabe.

Just my opinion.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Harold,

"There is a guy on E-S that is selling a 2 speed hubmotor for a 10" wheel. He runs it over 60 MPH on hills in Costa Rica"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU6Z5GG0D4c&feature=plcp

I love John's bike. But that performance is in a 100 pound "bicycle." In a several hundred pound scooter, it wouldn't be quite as impressive. On the other hand, I think John weighs about 100 pounds more than Ted.

Warren

Post Thanks / Like
    Warren, you could be correct. I think the 2 speed will make a world of difference in getting going. He has NO pedals on his homemade frame, and, does weigh over 260 pounds.

It's just for Ted to see the info, and know these are tested to be what he says, before selling them.

teddillard
    "Several hundred pound scooter"? If the thing is over a hundred, I'll be bummed. Running the ETEK at 48V should have plenty of pep for that little thang, though the idea of a smaller two speed hub motor does sound interesting. Think maybe I should name this project the "What I have Lying Around Prjoect", maybe that would explain some of my decisions a little better.

Post Thanks / Like
    [/QUOTE]

I have one of these Izip/ Schwinn wheels. They're very light duty. The axle is only 10mm dia. The tire is suppose to be 3" wide, but actually is less than 2.5". It takes a bicycle type threaded-on sprocket or free wheel (although the brake disk can be thread-on or bolt-on). The chain on the stock sprocket is the tiny #25 or the 8mm T8F. They're used with 1kW or smaller motors.

For use with a 10kW motor? You want to look for a heavier duty wheel.
    Last edited by Fab man; 28 August 2012 at 2032. Reason: Syntax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast