Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  40
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Spaceweasel's GSX-V

Post Thanks / Like
    Time to represent the Elmoto community. I'm bringing my bike to the Handbuilt Motorcycle Show in Austin, TX. Going to catch some Motogp action at the Circuit of the Americas that weekend while I'm down there. Anyone else in Austin April 21-23?

https://revivalcycles.com/pages/abou...otorcycle-show

https://www.americas-moto-gp.com/en/...pJgaAjSu8P8HAQ
    Last edited by Spaceweasel; 26 April 2017 at 0915. Reason: edited for clarity

2. Likes ElMotoMike, Spoonman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, that's awesome!

4. Likes Nicman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Austin was fantastic. Between MotoGP and the Handbuilt Motorcycle Show I hardly had time to think.
    I spent a good portion of each day extolling the virtues of elmoto.net and the community support here which made it possible for anyone (even me!) to convert an electric motorcycle. Everyone was very enthusiastic and had lots of questions. All the builders were supportive, and I came away incredibly inspired for the next project!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes Stevo, Nicman, Spoonman, EVcycle liked this post
    Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wish I can get some elMoto.net stickers for my bike!!!
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: http://elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=4354

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey look, it's me! Nice article about the bikes outside of the Handbuilt show.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...ref_map=%5B%5D

9. Likes ElMotoMike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Broke out the bike for one final hurrah before the forecast winter storm. The Process Show was fantastic and I found a new fan.

22281913_10213804211762039_288633703458605968_n.jpg22365204_10213804211682037_4355892798765870430_n.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Project crossroads. I hate it when projects stall out. I find myself on the horns of the eternal time/money/space dilemma.

I just sold my gas motorcycle, and find myself with two electric projects. The first, my old GSX-V, needs new batteries. I have lost a couple cells and range has dropped to ~15 miles. The frame will fit two of my Tesla modules, giving it a bit more than 10kwh. I have a 96v/600amp Navitas controller that would make a nice upgrade, but the D&D ES 15-6 motor will never be a barnstormer. I will have to entirely reconstruct the battery box and rewire the entire bike to fit the new components, and change the esthetic to accommodate.

The second project, the k12ev, has progressed but is very far from done. There is some serious engineering that still needs to be accomplished. The steering is welded up, but connecting the new transmission to the frame securely and square will require some creative construction. Rear suspension issues have been resolved. The battery tray/seat unit is designed and mocked up in wood, but not built in aluminum. Battery box as well. I will still need an entire front brake system, new wheels, plus myriad other bits and pieces. But I already have collected most of the significant components, including Warp9 motor, Kelly controller, 144v DC-DC converter, Hytrel Lovejoy connector, contactor, domino throttle, etc.

If I use the Tesla modules to upgrade the GSX-V, I will effectively be mothballing the k12 for an indefinite period and might sell off some of the components for space/money. If I commit to the k12, the GSX-V will remain mostly useless until I find a different battery solution.

What is the considered opinion of the elmoto proletariate?

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    hmmmmm... that's called a conundrum!

My vote is to KISS the GSX-V and try to replace the battery pack with the same voltage that you have, and just keep it as is.... and continue the BMW work.... I've been watching for your updates on that project =)
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: http://elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=4354

13. Likes Spaceweasel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    hmmmmm... that's called a conundrum!

My vote is to KISS the GSX-V and try to replace the battery pack with the same voltage that you have, and just keep it as is.... and continue the BMW work.... I've been watching for your updates on that project =)
    ^^^
    agreed

15. Likes Spaceweasel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dunno - the GSX-V is a cracker, but it's burdened by the fact that is was a learning project.

Blank slate project will, with no doubt whatsoever, cost a hulluvalot more to get done, but what you could achieve with it and the knowledge that you gained from the GSX could turn it into something truly formidable!

17. Likes Nicman, Spaceweasel liked this post
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast