Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Hurricane - 1987 CBR600 F1 Conversion

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add furyphoto on Facebook

Cool What I Want - Aspirations of performance!

I've been thinking about what it is that I want out of my bike performance wise. Like everyone else, I would like it to go really fast, forever without needing a charge.

In the real world, I will almost exclusively use the bike for getting around town, and modest specs will allow me to do that.

Around town could be done with: 90 km/h (55mph) and about a 50km (30mi) range. Easily accomplishable, perhaps even with Pb batteries.

HOWEVER.... I do want the bike to be fun, and I want to make others jealous (if only to try and create some more EV converts!)

When I though about what would be the thing that I would really enjoy about the bike, it came down to this: I live about 60km from Whistler, one of the best world class ski resorts there is. I lived there for 12 years, and still have quite a few friends there. I would love if my bike were capable of getting me there. Whistler has several EV charging stations (all free!) so I need to be able to get there comfortably on a charge that can be replenished in about 3-4 hours. That would give me time to meet some friends, have a beer or two with lunch, hang out a bit, and still be safe to ride home. Sounds like a perfect summer afternoon.

So, this perfect afternoon outlines the spec goals for my bike:

Range: 60km+ (37.5 mi). It's 54km from my house to Whistler. A comfortable reserve would be nice, so maybe 70-80km (44-50mi)
    Terrain (must be accounted for in range): Hilly mountain roads, and a 2500ft increase in altitude on my way to Whistler
    Range extender: Coast on the downhills!
    Cruising Speed: 100-110km/h (63-69mph) will be comfortable to keep up with traffic. (at least 90km/h uphill (57mph))
    Top Speed: Would like to see 120-125km/h (75-78mph) for passing on the flat sections.
    Charge Time: 3-4 hours max for above trip with on-board charger.

Can it be done, Am I asking too much? I think the performance specs are not ridiculous, it's the range in the mountains, and recharge time that I'm not so sure about.
    Last edited by furyphoto; 13 November 2012 at 1303.
    -Andrew

http://www.andrewdoran.com
    mail(at)andrewdoran.com

My ElMoto Project "Electric Hurricane" - 1987 Honda CBR600 F1: Check out my Build ALBUM
    My ICE Cafe Racer Project "My Precious" - 1983 Honda CM400 Classic

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Back at it.

By design (and budget), this is a long term project. I am sharing funds with my Honda 400 ICE Cafe Racer Project, and my 1976 Jeep CJ5 rebuild. So slow but sure will be the pace. But, today was sunny and relatively warm in the Great White North, so after a 9 km hike/run with the wife, I was inspired to pull the shabby old Cane out of the corner of the garage and see what shape she was in.

AD0313_01806_FB.jpg AD0313_01808_FB.jpg

Lots to do! The first order of business is to get the Roller into decent shape, so bearings, shocks, tires & brakes I guess. Tires can actually wait, as the ones on it hold air, and I won't really need new ones until it's ready to hit the street. (plus I will need to paint the rims first). Unfortunately the rear mono-shock doesn't look good, it doesn't seem to move at all. I jumped up and down on the sub-frame, but nothing. Then I took it out and used it to jack up the jeep, trying to compress the spring, but it just lifted the engine end of the Jeep right off the ground. hmmm. Looks like it will need a replacement, which are hard to find as no-one makes an aftermarket bolt in for this bike anymore. I might take another run at compressing the spring and taking it apart to see if I can free it up, but my guess is that it is toast.

AD0313_01810_FB.jpg

On to the brakes... The lines look in decent shape, but the calipers look a bit banged up. I will pull them apart and clean, and rebuild if needed. The pads are almost non-existent, and the rotors are seriously worn. Whoever rode this bike did an awful lot of braking, and not very much maintenance! Looks like all new rotors and pads all around. There was no pressure in the brake lines. I think the PO (bought it as a project, never rode it) got a bit rambunctious and started taking things apart without really thinking much about what order he was doing things. (take a look at the photo in post #1. With the bike in that state, he had started to sand the frame for paint ) I'm also missing a small part of the rear brake linkage that connects the pedal to the cylinder, I'm not sure where I will find that silly little piece.

AD0313_01812_FB.jpg AD0313_01814_FB.jpg

SO, Lots to get through before I even start thinking about electric stuff. Off to Fleabay, and the CBRForum to figure out what I need.
    Last edited by furyphoto; 30 November 2013 at 1112.
    -Andrew

mail(at)andrewdoran.com

My ElMoto Project "Electric Hurricane" - 1987 Honda CBR600 F1: Check out my Build ALBUM

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that truck-bed liner on the forks?

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Nah, just really bad paint over top of the oxidized forks.
    -Andrew

mail(at)andrewdoran.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Nah, just really bad paint over top of the oxidized forks.
    LOL. At least that's easier to fix.

Post Thanks / Like
    Please, Please, Please replace the brake lines. If the rest is shot, the lines are going to go too and since you have bike tore down.......

Your arse may depend on it.

There are some really good light weight racing ones (reasonably priced too) we have used for years.

Cool looking, safer and less weight....what is not to like?

Mr Safety
    EV Ed
    Never let being a responsible adult get in the way of passion and curiosity.
    Juiced Racing.net
    Headway Headquarters
    Motenergy.com
    Ev album 2456, 2458, 2457, 2681, 3456, 3630

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by EVcycle View Post
    Please, Please, Please replace the brake lines. If the rest is shot, the lines are going to go too and since you have bike tore down.......

Your arse may depend on it.

There are some really good light weight racing ones (reasonably priced too) we have used for years.

Cool looking, safer and less weight....what is not to like?

Mr Safety
    The lines look in good shape, but considering the care (or lack of) with which the rest of the brake system has been maintained, New brake lines are a VERY good idea!

AD0313_01969.jpg AD0313_01970.jpg

Good news on the Mono-Shock, it seem that the pre-load was set to the highest, and with an empty frame, and a small guy like me, it just didn't move. I got it apart using a redneck spring compressor, cleaned it up a bit and reset the pre-load to the lowest setting, and now I have suspension! Yay! small victories.

AD0313_01966.jpg AD0313_01968.jpg

And my babies tucked in for the night
    AD0313_01975.jpg
    -Andrew

mail(at)andrewdoran.com

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Fooling around with a few design ideas for the look of the bike over lunch today.

I think I want to keep the wheels white to pay homage to the original CBR600F1 so I'm planning on Black and White with some red accents.

Whaddaya think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by furyphoto; 06 March 2013 at 1537.
    -Andrew

mail(at)andrewdoran.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhh. Brings back memories of the beginning phase of my 97 CBR600 F3. I would highly recommend a Enertrac hub motor from Markcycle. It would leave the frame space for placing the 100 Ah of Lithium you will need to meet your goals. The motor not being in the frame space will give you the room to keep the battery pack positioned for a close to factory CG. I used a D&D frame mounted DC motor and SLA batteries. I love the bike, but the CG is a little high and a little forward.
    Mike K.

1997 Honda CBR 600 F3
    72Volt (6) 55Ah Deka SLA AGM
    25 Mile range
    60 MPH
    "Jesus transformed me like the apostle Paul".

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by racermike39 View Post
    Ahhh. Brings back memories of the beginning phase of my 97 CBR600 F3. I would highly recommend a Enertrac hub motor from Markcycle. It would leave the frame space for placing the 100 Ah of Lithium you will need to meet your goals. The motor not being in the frame space will give you the room to keep the battery pack positioned for a close to factory CG. I used a D&D frame mounted DC motor and SLA batteries. I love the bike, but the CG is a little high and a little forward.
    Mike do you have a build thread or blog or some photos of your bike?
    -Andrew

mail(at)andrewdoran.com

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast