Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  6
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Hurricane - 1987 CBR600 F1 Conversion

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to have a photo page on ELMOTO before the site got hacked and I never rebuilt it.
    Here is my project on EV Album:
    http://www.evalbum.com/2190
    Here is a link to a blog I did on the V is for Voltage forumn:
    http://visforvoltage.org/blog/racermike39
    I reformated the bike almost two years ago and settled on 55 Ah SLA batteries. I now have 4000 miles on it.
    Mike K.

1997 Honda CBR 600 F3
    72Volt (6) 55Ah Deka SLA AGM
    25 Mile range
    60 MPH
    "Jesus transformed me like the apostle Paul".

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see you posting Mike, your EV album page got a lot of views from me when doing my 96 F3 conversion design.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add furyphoto on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    Nice to see you posting Mike, your EV album page got a lot of views from me when doing my 96 F3 conversion design.

Moon, I might be interested in your motor/battery mount designs if you are willing to share. (even if just as a starting point) I know nothing of CAD software or CNC milling, I guess it's time to learn a bit.
    -Andrew

http://www.andrewdoran.com
    mail(at)andrewdoran.com

My ElMoto Project "Electric Hurricane" - 1987 Honda CBR600 F1: Check out my Build ALBUM
    My ICE Cafe Racer Project "My Precious" - 1983 Honda CM400 Classic

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Moon. I had to take some time off of the project/internet/forum stuff to get our house built. I hope my information was helpful. I know I was very thankful for everyone else's project information to help me with mine.
    Anyway, here we are a year later..... (I recognize the front wheel you are using for your avatar )
    Mike K.

1997 Honda CBR 600 F3
    72Volt (6) 55Ah Deka SLA AGM
    25 Mile range
    60 MPH
    "Jesus transformed me like the apostle Paul".

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Thread Resurrection!

Some updates!

I have updated my Motor & Controller details in Post #2

I will be using an Alltrax 7245 and a Mars ME 1003 and all the appropriate fixins.

I have also started a Battery Decision thread to figure out what kind of Lithium will supply my Juice.

My Controller is paid for, and on the way. An RC charger is on the way too, for cell testing.

I got the Registration for my frame last week (I bought it without papers), so I am now the legal owner. All systems go!

My next step it to get the brakes in order. Now that I have the reg, I am safe to spend some $$ on parts. New master cylinder already on the way, new rotors, pads, and lines are needed, and I will probably rebuild the calipers too. Probably time to cut the bottom out of the old gas tank as well!

Also moved into a new home (finally!) so I have to build a work bench, ad set up the shop! Busy, busy, busy!
    -Andrew

mail(at)andrewdoran.com

My ElMoto Project "Electric Hurricane" - 1987 Honda CBR600 F1: Check out my Build ALBUM

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Keys, where we're going we don't need keys!

A successful bench test of my RFID ignition system today.

I will post more details, but it consists of a cheap $ 6.00 ebay RFID Tranceiver, 2 $.50 diodes, 1 $5.99 double pole/double throw relay from RadioShack/The Source, and 3 - $4.99 standard 40amp Automotive relays.

So $28 bucks.

The functionality will be, Turn on Kill Switch, FOB to turn on System. (then press start button for my ICE Bike).

to shut down, just turn off kill switch to reset system. It will not turn on again without the FOB.

It's late, I will post photos and circuit diagram soon.
    -Andrew

mail(at)andrewdoran.com

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

I HAVENT FORGOTTEN ABOUT IT!

Ok, It's been a long while since I updated this thread, but I have some pretty good reasons!

I moved, twice, but now we are in an awesome new house that backs on to green space and a river, and Bald Eagles hang out in the trees 30 feet away.
    I've been doing quite a few custom additions to the house, fireplace, lots of shelves and storage, custom bath and tiling, the house took up most of last summer. Along with the new house came a new garage though, which I have been diligently been working on converting into shop space for year round wrenching.

TAAA DAAAA!

Notice the charging station installed right next to the hose and the sexy epoxy floor (5 days work!)

So now I have lots of space to work, and as you can see I have several projects on the go. 1976 Jeep CJ5, ICE CM400 Cafe Racer, and The Electric Cane. Now it's spring and I can work with the garage door open. The wrenching shall commence!
    Last edited by furyphoto; 01 April 2014 at 1156.
    -Andrew

mail(at)andrewdoran.com

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Gimme a Brake!

First task in the new shop for the Elmoto is to get the rolling chassis into descent shape. You might remember that previously I freed up the rear suspension, and checked out the atrocious shape of the brake pads .

Well since stopping is a premium requirement for my bike, especially with no Regen. I figured I had better take a look at the calipers considering how abusive the PO had been to the brake system.

A good thing too, all of the calipers were fully seized. I was unable to make the pistons move at all using compressed air (the usual method) I had to hook each one individually up to the master, bleed it, and use much force to move the lever to free up the pistons. They are seriously gunked up with petrified brake dust, and road grime. I don't think the PO ever even looked at the brakes, considering the damage on the pads and rotors I'm not sure had any clue how to gear down. I think he was a pull the clutch in & grab hold of the brakes man.

So, I'm in for 3 complete caliper rebuilds with new seals and probably pistons too. Then new rotors and pads, and I might as well do new brake lines while I'm at it. And a coat of shiny red caliper paint

Here are the calipers after disassembly.
    Last edited by furyphoto; 01 April 2014 at 1148.
    -Andrew

mail(at)andrewdoran.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Good call. Like you, I had siezed pistons and a bike design with no regen. If there is one part of the bike worth rebuilding, it's those brakes! I'm hoping your caliper piston chambers aren't scored...keep up the good work.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Wiring Diagram Version 1.0 - Opinions appreciated!

Nothing better to do on a rainy Sunday afternoon? Why not make a wiring diagram.

Here is my V.1.0 diagram featuring 120vac household/240vac J1772 dual input charging, and Arduino powered Fingerprint Scanner ignition .

No BMS at the moment, I haven't decided on one yet, I'm considering doing my own Arduino powered very simple monitor for HV and LV cut and monitoring, no active balancing.

Let me know if you see any egregious errors (or tiny ones for that matter)

Last edited by furyphoto; 12 October 2014 at 1755. Reason: Heading off "What, no BMS?" comments
    -Andrew

mail(at)andrewdoran.com

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast