Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  11
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: eAssist AC Induction Motor

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the insulation would be fine for the higher voltage. You could get the stator redipped at a motor shop or use some of the rattle can insulating varnishes to add some voltage capacity. I don't know much enough about induction motors. Can the torque be controlled by programing the timing and amount of asynchronous slip of the phases(if that's what's needed)? And what controllers are out there that would work with motor?

The motor is pretty small and I think GM stopped offering it as an option, but somebody should try the darn thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    I've got to admit, that looks a lot better than I thought it would. Torque doesn't start to drop sharply till above 3000 rpm. I stand corrected!

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    I've been patiently waiting for an update on this thread
    "Efficiency at the power peak was about 75% (induction motors are more efficient at parcial loads). With a magnets motor like ME1304, controller's delivered power could be the same, but they should achieve 90 or 92% efficiency, and thus power at shaft would be may be close to 45 HP, but I don't think it can be more at this voltage."
    My thoughts exactly! It makes logical sense that a PMAC would be more efficient because a permanent magnet has a stored potential energy already "built-in" to the motor.
    dlc-motor-front.jpg < is looking good for next year's upgrade!
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: eVOR.v3.3
    WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    So after reading the whole thread on endless-sphere, I do have a couple more thoughts:
    1. e-vektor did some excellent reverse engineering. That was much, much more than a simple, "Throw a likely controller at it and see what sticks." Bravo!
    2. The conversion from wye (star) to delta wiring made a big difference. Thinking about its use as an alternator, the wye configuration makes sense. You'd want to make enough voltage to be able to charge the 115 V battery pack down to low rpms, as the car is slowing to a stop. Changing it to delta for motor use allowed him to push more current - and therefore make more torque - with a reasonable battery pack voltage.

I'm still pleasantly surprised that the torque curve drop-off is as high as it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazFisher View Post
    So after reading the whole thread on endless-sphere, I do have a couple more thoughts:
    1. e-vektor did some excellent reverse engineering. That was much, much more than a simple, "Throw a likely controller at it and see what sticks." Bravo!
    2. The conversion from wye (star) to delta wiring made a big difference. Thinking about its use as an alternator, the wye configuration makes sense. You'd want to make enough voltage to be able to charge the 115 V battery pack down to low rpms, as the car is slowing to a stop. Changing it to delta for motor use allowed him to push more current - and therefore make more torque - with a reasonable battery pack voltage.

I'm still pleasantly surprised that the torque curve drop-off is as high as it is.
    here is the most I could get from this motor: 38 HP and 95 N*m on electric kart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-M_RFaY3aM

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910