Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What electric motorcycle companies have you been excited about that disappeared?

Post Thanks / Like

What electric motorcycle companies have you been excited about that disappeared?

I really like the Brooklyn Motorized Cafe Racer and the Fremont Motors Fido Scooter, but neither has materialized beyond the initial buzz. Which bikes have you all been excited about that have not appeared?

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter

Re: What electric motorcycle companies have you been excited about that disappeared?

I haven't heard much about Brooklyn motorized.... not since I stopped contracting with them....

Wish motoczysz got into the production bike side of things.
    Travis

Post Thanks / Like
    the Phoenix Bike Worx, i would like to see those go full tilt boogie...

http://www.phoenixbikeworksinc.com/

they havent disappeared, but they really havent appeared either...
    The Greatest thing about a EV, is the Song of the Terrain...

4. Likes scoot440 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, there was Mission Motorcycles for a short time. But looking at the motorcycle brand forum, it appears that not much is going on in the production of street-legal electric motorcycles, other than Brammo and Zero. I really like Lightning, but the buy-in is a bit too steep and the amount of power and performance would exceed my riding abilities and far exceed my needs.

I kind of wonder what is going on with Vectrix? I thought they were returning to the U.S. but I haven't heard much about the company since MCN did their evaluation of their Li scooter model earlier this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did see an announcement a few days ago that Smart is partnering with Vectrix to build their new Smart scooter.
    http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...ectric-scooter

Post Thanks / Like
    Cute scooter. It looks better than the Smart car. On the other hand, Smart has a lot more money than Vectrix and that partnership should help Vectrix stay in business.

Speaking of the Long Beach Motorcycle Show, here is a blog about Hell for Leather's reporter visit to the show. You won't learn too much about the bikes but you will learn a little more about Wes (he even mentions seeing Harlan):

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...ong-beach-ims/

Post Thanks / Like
    I met a couple of the Brooklyn Motorized guys last summer.

They said they burned 500k trying to build a battery system and could not raise any additional funding when that ran out.

Seemed that the leadership did not have a great idea of how to actually get a vehicle off the ground and made some poor strategic choices.

teddillard
    The bike that got me going on this whole mess in the first place, the ENV. Fuel cell concept bike, but I started thinking about the possibilities...
    http://evmc2.wordpress.com/2009/07/0...le-fuel-cells/

Also, of course, the Roehr. Broke my heart, that one did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teddillard View Post
    The bike that got me going on this whole mess in the first place, the ENV. Fuel cell concept bike, but I started thinking about the possibilities...
    http://evmc2.wordpress.com/2009/07/0...le-fuel-cells/
    Sadly I don't think the ENV was built to be an electric motorcycle so much as it was built to showcase a fuel cell. Dump the fuel cell and drop in a battery pack, and I think the ENV would be pretty sweet. Maybe that's because when I was in elementary school I thought the Battlestar Galactica Turbocycles were cool.

Also, of course, the Roehr. Broke my heart, that one did.
    Yep, that one is a shame. To see something like Mission - flaunting an over-hyped, never-to-be-built, clearly not possible (i.e. the revolutionary "street legal" Yeves Behar design that they showcased wasn't street legal and would have to be reshaped to become so) product as just a flagship for fundraising bring in loads of money and then see someone like Roehr build real, functional, legit bikes and not bring in the dough to keep it going is truly sad.
    Sensei - Electric Ninja 250

Post Thanks / Like
    And going in the other direction, we have companies like BMW and Honda, who have all the money and R&D engineers in the world, but not the guts to actually build and market a consumer electric motorcycle. By the time BMW finally comes out with their "Urban Mobility" electric scooter (after years of development) it looks like it still won't be much an improvement over the long-suffering Vectrix. Plus, its price is likely to be so high that most scooter enthusiasts will be scratching their heads and wondering why it costs so much and who would pay that for a scooter.

I visited my BMW dealer the other day and went for a ride on their new $11,100 C650GT scooter and was not terribly impressed. I think BMW believes that scooters are nothing but two-wheel cars. This thing was very heavy (575 pounds) and wide and I predict that they are unlikely to sell very many of them in the U.S. My dealer practically begged me to ride it as apparently they are required to put a specified number of miles on their factory demonstrator models and if they don't the sales office gets some sort of BMW demerits. They had the scooter on the lot for 3 weeks and it only had 140 miles on the clock - most of those I believe were put on by the sales staff. My guess is that BMW has a sales anchor in their line-up with their scooter range. Maybe their e-scooter will fare better - but I wouldn't put any money on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast