Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap gas welding/brazing

teddillard

Cheap gas welding/brazing

I have some very small welds to make, and I've messed with brazing using brass rod, boric acid for flux and a mapp gas torch. It doesn't work too good.

I just found this kit and it looks kind of fun: http://www.bernzomatic.com/item.html?id=30

Anybody messed with it? It looks like a good package for some basic occasional jobs... anything serious and it's probably more worthwhile to find a good gas rig on eBay if you're going the gas route.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fixed many a lawn mower deck and other odd metal joining jobs with one very similar. (Closer to soldering than fusion welding is, so it is easier for me.) Just like welding, it just takes some knowledge and practice. Don't let people tell you it is not strong enough since this depends on the filler material choosen and the quality of the workmanship. Only disadvantages are you cannot use this joining for high temperature applications since it is not as strong at temps over 200C and it will always be a different color than the original materials. Here's a link to learning more on braze welding for those unfamiliar with the process.... http://www.esabna.com/EUWeb/oxy_handbook/589oxy14_1.htm
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Post Thanks / Like
    The gas ran out in about 5 minutes when I was trying to braze some .125” steel flat bars together. It works and it’s cheap, but I would rather spend more to get an industrial set up with bigger tanks.

teddillard
    Thanks! Awesome link, Bruce!

John... Seriously? I was worried about it lasting, but only 5min? hmmmm. Sounds pretty expensive.

OK, I was able to find some prices - $10 apiece at Lowes: http://www.lowes.com/_/N-1z13zdn/pl?Ntt=BernzOmatic

Damn, that's right on the pain threshold. $20 for 5 min. of welding. Just about what I'd toss to the guy down the street for this job. But then there's the Satisfaction of Doing It Myself.
    Last edited by teddillard; 18 December 2012 at 0330.

Post Thanks / Like
    And the frustration of running out of gas before you finish.

teddillard
    wuuuut? Frustration, regarding welding? NAAAaaahhhh!

Yeah, you'd clearly want to have a few spares on hand. I think I'm going to petition Santa and give it a try... I'll report with the results. Well, I guess that's assuming he only checks "his list" once.

Status-free and luvin' it
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or you can rent the larger tanks from a local gas/welding/industrial supply shop.
    Mike Pipes
    - Currently under analysis paralysis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teddillard View Post
    wuuuut? Frustration, regarding welding? NAAAaaahhhh!

Buy an inverter based TIG unit on ebay for a couple hundred bucks. They are getting surprisingly good these days, at both improving durability and welding performance over the cheapo ebay TIG welders from just a few years ago.

Welding shouldn't be a source of frustration. Spend a few minutes to get your machine setup correctly for the material you're working with, and then prep the material correctly, and TIG welding becomes a nearly silent, flowing, relaxing, beautiful artful process that makes you happy to do. You can learn all you need to know to get started TIG welding from youtube and wikipedia/welding forums, then it's just practice to develop the muscle memory to be able to mindlessly control filler rod feed and control torch height as naturally as breathing.

teddillard
    ooooooh, that sounds so lovely! Like watching my friend Bryce TIG weld. Puddle, push, puddle push...

Are you talking about the TIG plasma cutter welders? Like this: http://tinyurl.com/c5fju7b ? Those are the only ones I could find for a couple hundred bucks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teddillard View Post
    ooooooh, that sounds so lovely! Like watching my friend Bryce TIG weld. Puddle, push, puddle push...

Are you talking about the TIG plasma cutter welders? Like this: http://tinyurl.com/c5fju7b ? Those are the only ones I could find for a couple hundred bucks...
    They make a smaller physical package unit that just does TIG or stick, and it's often <$250 shipped. The ones a few years back were pretty crappy. Last one we got for a buddies shop actually welded as nice as the Miller Dynasty I'm often using. Now granted, if you wanted to weld very thick metal it doesn't have the power, and if you wanted to weld aluminum thicker than about 3/16", forget about it. But for about 98% of the stuff you're ever welding on a motorcycle, it's game.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast