Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheap gas welding/brazing

teddillard
    I went and did Santa's work, and picked one of these little Bernzomatic rigs up. And had a blast. A couple of notes, though...

They give you a handful of sticks with it, just enough to get you into trouble, and no explanation of what they are. It looks like one flux rod, a couple of brass and a couple of copper. The one 12" flux rod lasted about one tank of O2... so... pick up a pack of rods and a couple of spare O2 tanks. Both are usually right on the same shelf with the kit and the rods then are handily identified with what their intended use is.

Stupid dumb ****. Don't forget about goggles. The spots go away, fyi.

Even for me, who hasn't gas welded or brazed with a proper rig for a very long time, it was like riding a bike. Hopped right in there, made a few ugly beads, it's as strong as an ox, and I'm on to grinding, sanding and paint.

I may do a little video, since it doesn't seem like there are any at all showing this product but, maybe I'll just go back to work on the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teddillard View Post

I may do a little video, since it doesn't seem like there are any at all showing this product but, maybe I'll just go back to work on the bike.
    i'd be interested to see this sir ! when you have time...
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

teddillard
    Here you go, sir!

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks Ted, very informative,

can you weld stainless steel with this method ?
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

teddillard
    I think so. I'm not sure what sticks you'd use, but here's an interesting piece on it, coincidentally, mind you, on a beer brewing site :http://morebeer.com/brewingtechnique....6/palmer.html

OK, just found this description of the rods:
    12" brazing rod for use with oxygen torch kit and high temperature fuel torches.
    No. PC3: Copper phosphorus rods, used to braze copper and bronze, may be used to seal copper pipes in plumbing applications without draining the water.
    No. WB5: Bronze flux-coated rods, most versatile and will provide the strongest joint, use to braze copper, bronze, galvanized iron or steel, brass, stainless and chrome-plate.
    No. NS3: Nickel-silver flux-coated rods, braze steel, stainless steel, galvanized iron or steel, bronze and chrome plate, slightly lower melting temperature than bronze brazing rods.
    No. AL3: Aluminum soldering rods, use to join and repair aluminum objects.

...so yeah, the NS3 and WB5 rods I could use for stainless. Interesting that there are aluminum rods as well. hmmmm.
    Last edited by teddillard; 06 January 2013 at 1415.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here you go, sir!

That is a very expensive way to weld if you're going to do more than an occasional spot of welding. I hope you do find the irony in converting once gas burning motorcycles into electrically powered motorcycles with a gas burning torch when the industry of welding shifted to electric. ;-)

teddillard
    Quote Originally Posted by liveforphysics View Post
    That is a very expensive way to weld if you're going to do more than an occasional spot of welding. I hope you do find the irony in converting once gas burning motorcycles into electrically powered motorcycles with a gas burning torch when the industry of welding shifted to electric. ;-)
    Yeah, but that's all I really need. For anything structural, on the frame and such, I wouldn't trust my work, regardless of the welder. I just don't have the experience. For this job, it was perfect.

I just ordered a few aluminum rods... we'll see how they do.

Oh yeah, and I'm not one to miss irony... HA!

(edit: I just posted a "review" with some costs and evaluation here: http://evmc2.wordpress.com/2013/01/0...ic-ox2550-kit/)
    Last edited by teddillard; 07 January 2013 at 0328.

teddillard
    I can't tell you how much fun having this li'l thang around is! Here's a little bracket I brazed onto the frame the other day:

...and this morning I was struggling over how to mount the horn. Finally, almost by accident I stumbled on doing it like this:

It took about 30 sec to toss it together, and it works like a champ. The biggest challenge is to get out of the habit of trying to work around not being able to weld and braze as I've done for all this time. It's really amazing how much it changes the way I'm approaching getting things done...

On the one hand, I can totally see how this is going to lead to bigger and better welding rigs. On the other, I really like having this small, cheap torch on hand in an instant. Totally effortless.

Along with the usual advice, getting the work clean, hot enough, etc etc, I've noticed that you can really take it easy on how much rod you feed the thing. I've been dropping a dollop on, then hitting it with the torch, and, just like soldering the dollop spreads out and follows the heat. That way I've been keeping the big blobs under control.

FUN!

I should add... I also got a couple of the aluminum rods to mess with. I'm not sure what alloy they are, but they melt at a MUCH lower temp than the aluminum. It's hard to describe, maybe I'll do a vid later on, but it's not at all what I'd call a weld, or even a braze. I don't think it's particularly strong, either... not sure how I'd use them but we'll see.
    Last edited by teddillard; 13 January 2013 at 0743.

9. Likes Hugues liked this post
    teddillard
    Quote Originally Posted by liveforphysics View Post
    Buy an inverter based TIG unit on ebay for a couple hundred bucks. They are getting surprisingly good these days, at both improving durability and welding performance over the cheapo ebay TIG welders from just a few years ago.
    liveforphysics, is this something like what you're talking about? http://tinyurl.com/a522xww

Post Thanks / Like
    liveforphysics, is this something like what you're talking about? http://tinyurl.com/a522xww
    Lot of welding talk going on around here Ted, so I thought I might share some of my recent activity. I needed a TIG welder for my trike project and after much research and pondering I bought a Chinese machine on Ebay last spring.
    I should point out that I'm by no means a certified welder, but have spent many hours with a TIG torch. I owned a large Miller TIG machine and over around ten years became pretty good on aluminum and was even building titanium mountain bikes for a couple of years, which is another story. I sold that TIG around 15 years ago because it wasn't square-wave, and have been sorry since.
    I've probably logged around a couple of hours on this Chinese machine so far with no issues at all other than at 200 amps it is a little light for heavy aluminum which requires a lot of amperage, but works beautifully on anything up to 3/16". My old machine was 300 amps and could handle most heavy stuff.
    My point is, there has been lots of criticism for Chinese welders, but modern Miller welders use Chinese circuit boards in them.
    TIG welding isn't rocket science, and it will produce the most superior weld of any welders.TIGwelder.aspx.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast