Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  18
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The ElMoto Dream Bike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teddillard View Post
    The inductive charging is cool, and I actually did some science-fair type experimenting with it. The EV1 had an inductive charge connection.
    http://evmc2.wordpress.com/2011/03/2...-idea-hint-no/

I'm not sure it's worth the weight on a motorcycle, and you still need a plug for charging in non-inductive locations... but this is a dream bike, no?
    I have a Magne Charger in my garage, bought for an S-10 EV project that fell through. It's really cool - but pretty useless without the charge port. If I could make it work, I'd totally outfit my bike to use it for fast charging.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, no to RC lipo, though with a modular battery you could swap out whatever chemistry you... uh... dream about.

With small packs, the structure and release mechanism get a lot easier. Rather than think one huge pack, think 6 smaller ones.
    I don't like the idea of toting six individual packs up to my office to charge. 2 seems manageable, though.

teddillard
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceweasel View Post
    I don't like the idea of toting six individual packs up to my office to charge. 2 seems manageable, though.
    6 individual modules doesn't mean you can't have the usual onboard charger, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    The scenario I'm seeing is that the only time you would pull the packs is when you don't have access to a plug, so you take them into your hotel/friends house/office to charge. Or did you envision something else?

teddillard
    Totally. Something else that is... I see having two complete packs, one always charged, ready to swap out. Three or more bikes of various voltages which can accept packs in different combinations. Even lawn tools and tractors that can use the same packs.

And unicorns.

And jetpacks.

(laugh if you want... but that's exactly what I'm planning for the R5e, the scooter, the dirt bike, the tractor and the lawn mower. Everything running off a 36V 30ah pack, or combination of several. Charged with my solar array. It's also the strategy that DeWalt and Black and Decker see for their power tools.)
    Last edited by teddillard; 07 February 2013 at 1608.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love my Ryobi powertools, the first I know of to have interchangeable battery packs. Now I'm thinking how cool they would be if some of the tools took multiple packs...

teddillard
    Exactly. Try that with a gas bike!

Funny story. Charles MacArthur and Mike Corbin and I are working on the relaunch of the Alternative Energy Regatta at Mt. Washington this summer. Charlie has Corbin Sparrow SN #0001. He wants to run it with lithium rather than the original lead. The plan? Run the R5e up the hill, recharge the packs, pull them out and pop them into Charlie's Sparrow. BAM!
    Last edited by teddillard; 07 February 2013 at 1641.

Post Thanks / Like
    So it's settled then?

The inductive charging is cool, and I actually did some science-fair type experimenting with it. The EV1 had an inductive charge connection.
    http://evmc2.wordpress.com/2011/03/2...-idea-hint-no/

I'm not sure it's worth the weight on a motorcycle, and you still need a plug for charging in non-inductive locations... but this is a dream bike, no?

Now, for my own personal Grail: I can haz Modular Batteriez?

45lb packs that are easily removable. I'm not sure what voltage you've decided on, but a 36V 30ah (1.08kwh) pack of RC lipo would be around that weight, and configurable for my 72V (nom) 60-90ah (personal) dream bike.

Inductive charging is just like pissing a portion of your energy away, while taking up more space and adding weight and cost (to charger and vehicle), with the singular benefit being avoiding a lethal shock if you're plugging into a 300-400vdc battery in a rainstorm or whatever on a setup that doesn't have contactors that stay open until the connector is fully mated (how most modern charge connectors work). If it's your dream bike, put a DC charge port on it, the entire concept of AC power input to chargers onboard a vehicle is so doing it wrong if you're looking for something other than a slow overnight charge IMHO (not saying slow overnight charges don't have there place, it's what I use 95% of the time, but if you want to fast charge on your dream bike, DC is the only path that makes a shred of sense).

If you're just making a ripper play bike so you don't need weather proofing and UN 38.3 conformance etc, you should be able to get damn near 4kWh in a 45lbs box if you're willing to use sketchy cobalt oxide cells with no intrinsic safety compromises (the best RC packs are exceeding 200Wh/Kg assembled these days). It will just be worn out in a year of daily use, if it doesn't burn your house down first is the only downside. :-)

teddillard
    Just found this on the EIG page.

http://www.eigbattery.com/eng/product/module.htm

Kyle's favorite batts. In a module.

Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently you never pay attention to my build!

Those are older EIG modules (from 2008 or so). 21s1p is about 24lbs and about 9" X 5.5" X 7.9" I ran 4 of them and have enough to run 5. They rock, but I need to test the power capabilities of them some more soon!

Actual configuration in the bike

Last edited by Nuts & Volts; 08 February 2013 at 0737.
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast